none
Manually Schedule and Auto Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• What is the true meaning between Manually Schedule and Auto Schedule in MS Project 2010? I want to do the scheduling and not allow the tool to do it for me. I am doing EV and usually update the tasks myself or should I use the auto schedule now? What are the difference and the value of each?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:33 PM

All replies

• Reynalda,

In simple terms, "auto-scheduling" is the mode used by all previous versions of Project prior to Project 2010. The users enters essential data such as the task description, estimated duration, and logic (i.e. links between tasks). The user also assigns resources and may or may not enter estimated work content. Using this information Project creates a schedule. The user is still required to update status to the plan over the project period of execution.

Manual scheduling mode was added to Project 2010 to allow users more flexibility when creating "shell" schedules, that is, schedules that are a first-cut or rough draft of a general schedule idea. For example, in manual schedule mode, the Start and Finish fields can accept text data (e.g. "next week" or "first Friday").

Once the framework of a plan is laid out using manual scheduling, the user can convert it to auto-scheduled. Project will attempt to convert the text data in the Start and Finish fields into real dates and set up a working schedule.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Hey there,

in addition to Johns answer, here is a good article about the topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2009/10/23/project-2010-introducing-user-controlled-scheduling.aspx

• Edited by Steve Rex Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:18 PM