List, New Form, Metadata default values gets deleted RRS feed

• Question

• I have a issue in a List with Metadata columns.

When adding a Item to a List with Metadata Column, the default value(s) is removed after i insert a value and change the field (by TAB or Mouse) to enter the next value.

Example, Column "News Type" default Value "Company News":

(can't post screenshot)

after enter a value and change the field, the default value, on "News Type" is gone.

(can't post screenshot)

anybody else has this behaviour, is this a bug?

Greetings and Thanks

Phil

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

I could reproduce your issue with a Managed Metadata column in my SharePoint online list Modern page.

Currently, I am afraid there is no official explanation for this phenomenon.

As a workaround, please turn to classic list page via selecting “Return to classic SharePoint” in the lower left corner then add new items, it works well.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, January 24, 2020 6:20 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Is there any progress on this issue?

I am looking forward to your feedback if there is any update.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 7:26 AM
  • Hi Julie

Thanks for reproducing the issue.

I hope this will be fixed soon.

Since this is issue is showing up in the sharepoint of the tenant from our customer, i'm not going to change all the lists to classic experience. The Modern look was sold to them and they like it that way. 

The customer has to accept the annoying issue until Microsoft has fixed this.

Any information if this is now handled as a bug/issue on the microsoft side?

thanks

Phil

Thursday, January 30, 2020 7:51 AM
  • Hi Phil,

From this thread, it's a known behavior and it's by design. Basically metadata is not enforced in the modern UI in SPO Document Libraries.

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, January 30, 2020 8:59 AM
  • Its not the same issue!

I have default values declared for the fields.

The default values are shows/set in the new form.

When entering any other value, these columns with the default values are set empty.

Its a a form/script behaviour thats is wrong here!

Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:42 AM
  • Hi Phil,

You can submit a feedback in the SharePoint UserVoice forum and report this issue. Microsoft development team will get back to you if your post gets 100 votes in 90 days.

If this issue is essential to your SharePoint environment, I suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft. There will be more professional engineers coming for assistance.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Friday, January 31, 2020 8:34 AM