DFS between 2003 and 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Last week, I added a new DC (2008R2) on a new site , linked it to the existing domain on the other site with the 2003 DC.

Everything seemed to be fine, until DFS.

I installed File Management role with DFS, created namespaces, thinking that I might link them eventually and replicates them with shares on another windows 2008R2.

In the meantime, over the weekend something happened, it is as if the GPO are now looking at the new site for the shared folders which are empty, as I haven't setup any replication.

Users are now getting as they login the following message.

"Configuration information could not be read from  the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable or access has been denied."

Does DFS change the security of shared folders on a remote site?

Any help will be welcome

Monday, December 5, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• I found out later on, that Windows 2003 DFS isn't compatible, and that I need to at least upgrade to Windows 2003R2 to be able to have the shares synchronising.

I mainly intended to setup a Profile folder through DFS for users working on both sites, instead of having to chose one location over the other for their roaming profiles for a quicker logon. But I don't think it is recommended either.

The other shared folders will stay separate, remote access to files on the other site seem to be responsive enough.

Nothing is as simple as I would like it to be. 

Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it a Windows 2003 or Windows 2003 R2?

If it is Windows 2003 then you will not able to create replication between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2.

If it is for DFS only or if it is Windows 2003 R2, please test to remove the file server as a link target for the share Run dfsutil /clean /server:<fileserver> /share:<sharename>

Then create another share and created a new DFS link on the same volume on the Windows 2008 R2 server to see if it will work.  

If so, remove the file server again, un-shared the original directory, shared it back then added the share back to the DFS link as a target to see if it will back to work.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:15 AM
  • I found out later on, that Windows 2003 DFS isn't compatible, and that I need to at least upgrade to Windows 2003R2 to be able to have the shares synchronising.

I mainly intended to setup a Profile folder through DFS for users working on both sites, instead of having to chose one location over the other for their roaming profiles for a quicker logon. But I don't think it is recommended either.

The other shared folders will stay separate, remote access to files on the other site seem to be responsive enough.

Nothing is as simple as I would like it to be. 

Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:16 AM