none
Project 2016 as a personal PM with Outlook Tasks sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hey!

I've tried Project 2016, it's nice, but a bit too complex. Before I put in xx hours to learn it properly I'd like to know if it is a good idea to use it as a personal project manager.

I'd like to plan the projects in Project 2016, get the subtasks synced with outlook tasks and then wunderlist.

The reason I want to use Project 2016, is beacause of the gnatt timeline and the resouces function.

I'd be the only "person" but my time would be divided into different resources, i.e. on 1hour of reading a day, 4hours of study, 8h a week of working out, 16 hours a week of working etc. And then allocate these resources to each task and project, for example getting thriugh a reading list and planning a business start up.

This way I'd have a realistic time span and allocation of resources to get things done and to know how to prioritize. I'd have about 2-300 tasks, and about 50 projects.

Am i wasting my time or is project 2016 a good software for such an endeavour. I'd also like to know if there is anyway to sync task progression and completion effectively with outlook tasks, which i will in turn sync with wunderlist/todoist.

Thank you !

Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:15 PM

All replies

• Frankly, in my opinion, you would be wasting your time and money. Project is a sophisticated computational tool for project cost and schedule. Outlook is a personal information manager. There are other products out there that might do what you want, but I have no recommendations as these things are a matter of personal choice.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:46 PM
  • Projectturtle,

This whole "idea" was hashed out previously and I thought Julie was a saint to even discuss the issue, so why bring it up again (rhetorical question).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/6a8ba58d-b299-4530-aaf1-22abc60a4581/need-help-with-setting-up-project-2013-for-a-huge-personal-project?forum=projectprofessional2010general#2f6c8bf5-33da-4501-a9c8-e1e8c6ddf58b

I agree with Rob. Yes, you are wasting your time attempting to use Project (any version) for your needs.

John

Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:04 PM