Skype client tracing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I have been looking for the option to having continues traces on the client site (UCCAPI logs), and now I like to find good documentation of the tracing options on the Skype client. I have already found the generic table with the basic information. But so far those have been a bit unfinished.

Question1: Does the Skype respect the setting "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\tracing\uccapi\lync\FileDirectory". So far I haven't success to affect the tracing path even such configuration exist. And if you look by the process monitor what registry entries Skype client reads while it is starting, that configuration is not read by the client

Question2: How I could get continues logs? Meaning Skype start writing to log-0, when it gets full, then to log-1, log-2 etc.. until it reach the limit defined in the configuration: MaxFiles. And then it goes back to begin and start overwriting the logs when needed. With the following configuration (I have marked with bold those which in mind affects):

C:\>reg query hkcu\Software\microsoft\tracing\uccapi\lync

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\tracing\uccapi\lync
        AdvancedOptions    REG_DWORD    0x0
        ClearLogsOnRestart    REG_DWORD    0x0
        EnableFileTracing    REG_DWORD    0x1
        EnableConsoleTracing    REG_DWORD    0x0
        EnableDebuggerTracing    REG_DWORD    0x0
        FileTracingMask    REG_DWORD    0xffff0000
        ConsoleTracingMask    REG_DWORD    0xffff0000
        DebuggerTracingMask    REG_DWORD    0xffff0000
        MaxFileSize    REG_DWORD    0x989680
        MaxFiles    REG_DWORD    0x6
        FileDirectory    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\Tracing1
        EnableLogRolloverCheck    REG_DWORD    0x1
        ClearLogsOnEnable    REG_DWORD    0x0
        LogRolloverDurationInMinutes    REG_DWORD    0x78

I have success to get 6 log files (UCCAPI0 - UCCAPI5) and each of them is 10 MB. But there is a problem: When I restart my Skype client, it always start writing as a new file, starting from the log UCCAPI1 (see, not from UCCAPI0 as you might expect). Keep in mind, with above configuration the log writing process is working fine as long as I do not restart my client/workstation. Sign-out/In from Skype client does not break the logic on it.

Question3: From where I can find the real clarification for these configurations:
    - AdvancedOptions
    - EnableConsoleTracing
    - EnableDebuggerTracing
    - EnableLogRolloverCheck
    I have already found the following by: Google Search But those are not really make any sense, especially as Skype seems to not respect them at all.

Question4: Is this registry hive in use at all? And how the overlapping configurations are affected (who wins):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\tracing\AppSharingMediaProvider\lync

And currently I'm using Skype client 16.0.8625.2121.

Petri

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Petri,

Question 2:I find the result is same with you, when reach the limit defined in the configuration: MaxFileSize,it will change write next log. When you restart Skype client, it always start writing as a new file,it is related to the ClearLogsOnRestart,based on my research,when  restart Skype client, it always start writing as a new file, it will compare the log from the last written in the longest time

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Hi Leon-Lu,

It is always good to hear that you are not the only one to seen this.

The logic of start writing the new file looks very strange. When I removed the file Lync-UccApi-9.UccApilog, so I had files 0 - 8 left, I could see on the process monitor that lync.exe was looking for at first the file: Lync-UccApi-9.UccApilog, but could not found it. Then it query the file: Lync-UccApi-8.UccApilog, found it and start writing - as you stated as well - a new file: Lync-UccApi-1.UccApilog. You could ask, why it did not start write Lync-UccApi-9.UccApilog, or why it did not started to write to Lync-UccApi-0.UccApilog :D

Still the big question is, how to affect this?

Petri

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:31 AM
  • Hi Petri,

Thanks for your waiting.

I did some testing, I configure the file number as 3, and when all log files are created (UccApi0-2), it will always overwrite UccApi-2, so I think it will always overwrite the latest log files.

And when I restart the Skype for Business client, I notice all the files will be backup as UccApi-x.UccApilog.bak files, and then in my lab it will start from UccApi-0 log file.

In addition, about the log file directory, I noticed you use click to run Office, I newly installed it in a lab, and it seems no longer have this directory registry, so I think it could not be changed for now.

About the AppSharingMediaProvider\lync, I think the configuration is related to the logs such as “Lync-AppSharingMediaProvider-0.AppSharingMediaProviderlog”.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:04 AM