none
[Urgent]How do I bring back the logoff menu? RRS feed

• Question

• Today, I installed Windows SteadyState. To my suprise however, the logout menu is gone, and is it replaced by a window that has the buttons 'log off' and 'cancel'. Also, when I press Windows+L, there is a window that asks for my password.
    Plus, the 'turn off computer' menu in the welcome screen is gone too. So I uninstalled SteadyState, but that didn't make any difference. So, I reinstalled it and configured with the system settings. Now the 'turn off computer' menu is back, but when I press Windows+L it still asks for my password, and when I press log off the window with the buttons 'log off' and 'cancel' are still there!

So, what am I suppose to do to bring back the original logoff menu and make it so that pressing Windows+L will take me back to the welcome screen? I'm the admin for my home computer, and my OS is Windows MCE 2005 with SP2 installed(although it says MCE 2002 instead).

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:44 AM

Answers

•  

Do you mean "Fast User switching" and "Welcome screen" are missing even you uninstalled SteadyState? This known issue has been recorded in the “Fast User Switching is disabled after Windows SteadyState is installed” section of the SteadyState’s readme.txt. We can use the following steps to bring back the fast user switching button(Please first make sure all restrictions are unchecked in SteadyState.):

1.       Navigate to Control Panel -> User Accounts.

2.       Choose "Change the way users log on or off".

3.       Check the checkbox "Use the Welcome screen" and "Use Fast User Switching".

4.       Press the button "Apply Options".

5.       Then, please restart the computer and check the result.

Let's check if the issue is resolved.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hello, i have the same problem too, but i have windows xp sp2.
    I hope that somebody knows how to solve this problem.
    bye
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  

Do you mean "Fast User switching" and "Welcome screen" are missing even you uninstalled SteadyState? This known issue has been recorded in the “Fast User Switching is disabled after Windows SteadyState is installed” section of the SteadyState’s readme.txt. We can use the following steps to bring back the fast user switching button(Please first make sure all restrictions are unchecked in SteadyState.):

1.       Navigate to Control Panel -> User Accounts.

2.       Choose "Change the way users log on or off".

3.       Check the checkbox "Use the Welcome screen" and "Use Fast User Switching".

4.       Press the button "Apply Options".

5.       Then, please restart the computer and check the result.

Let's check if the issue is resolved.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:05 AM
  •  

Hi,

Just to be clear, fast user switching is incompatible with SteadyState.  You should not attempt to manually enable FUS while SteadyState is installed, as this is not supported and is known to cause problems.  Please be sure to first uninstall SteadyState if you require fast user switching.

Thanks,

Rob

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Thank you very much, when I press Windows+L now it now takes me back to the welcome screen.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:52 PM