SCCM 2012 Client Migration (from SCCM 2007) - .Net 4 question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Most of my existing workstations and servers currently do NOT have .net framework 4.0 installed.  I see that as part of the SCCM 2012 client installation, that .Net is a pre-requisite.  I also see that the SCCm 2012 client will automatically install .Net if required.

My question is that normally .Net installs will require a reboot.  Does this mean that when the SCCM 2007 client is upgraded to SCCM 2012 (and .net 4 automatically installed) that the machine will need to reboot before the SCCM 2012 client will function? 

I'm wondering because the upgrade of the client (in my case) is also a migration to a new SCCM hierarchy.  I don't want to wait for a reboot to occur in order to SEE the client come into my SCCM 2012 console.  Reason is that after upgrading the client, I will loose management of the client from my SCCM 2007 console --- leaving the client unmanagable until a reboot occurs.

Does anyone happen to know what happens?  Maybe the SCCM 2012 client will functional but be limited in some ways..?

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

• No reboot takes place when they are upgraded.  At least, I've never had the client cause a reboot.  The 2012 client is fully functional as soon as it registers with the site.

Now you have me curious.  I'm going to make sure .NET 4 Client Profile is not installed when I upgrade one of my client's computers to the 2012 client. 
    • Edited by Mike H Leach Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:54 PM curious
    • Marked as answer by y2kBug_sp7 Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:11 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I just finished pushing out 2000+ clients as part of an upgrade. I can confirm that they do not require a restart.

Check the ccmsetup.log file on the client (c:\windows\ccmsetup) as you go and you will see the msi return code of 0 i.e. successful. Worth doing s handful of pilot machines if you are unsure.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:01 PM

All replies

• No reboot takes place when they are upgraded.  At least, I've never had the client cause a reboot.  The 2012 client is fully functional as soon as it registers with the site.

Now you have me curious.  I'm going to make sure .NET 4 Client Profile is not installed when I upgrade one of my client's computers to the 2012 client. 
    • Edited by Mike H Leach Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:54 PM curious
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I just finished pushing out 2000+ clients as part of an upgrade. I can confirm that they do not require a restart.

Check the ccmsetup.log file on the client (c:\windows\ccmsetup) as you go and you will see the msi return code of 0 i.e. successful. Worth doing s handful of pilot machines if you are unsure.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Yeah, I will test is out too...  let me know what you find...

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:12 PM