Clustering or Multi-site and windows 7 clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

I have a single server setup (server 2012) using multi nic edge deployment.  I have windows 7 and windows 8 clients.  This was means for small deployment but now everyone wants DA.

I have read that Windows 7 is not support multisite deployments so I thought maybe clustering would be another way to go so that i get redundancy.  Here are my questions:

Will windows 7 work on a DA cluster?

If you are using an edge deployment can i use WNLB on external and internal networks?

Currently my DA server has 2 contiguous public V4 IPs to support teredo.  If i cluster 2 nodes will i need 5 public IPs?  2 for each host and one virtual IP?

Thanks

Friday, October 4, 2013 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

Windows 7 is able to operate in multisite but does not regognize the feature. This means that for Windows 7 directAccess clients, there is a dedicated GPO configuring them with one site only.

Clustering is possible but you only move the workload to another Hyper-V/ESX. If the problem is located in the workload service will be unavailable.

If you choose to enable High availability, WNLB will be available. You will be using it for both internal and external network card in unicast mode.

At last number of public IPv4 addresses depend on high availability scenario. With WNLB and teredo, 1 DIP are required on each node plus 2 VIP for the WNLB. With Hardward load balancing 2 DIP are required per node plus 2  VIP for HLB.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx

Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Thanks a bunch for your response

If i do multisite would it at least give me redundancy internally for Network Location service?  Currently the NLS role is on the DA server and was hoping that if i have 2 DA servers the windows 7 and windows 8 clients could reach the other NLS/DA server if one was down?

My goal is to give the company redundancy and distribute load.  I want to have the redundancy both internally and externally. 

Not sure i follow you on your answer about IPs.  My server currently has 2 consecutive public IPs to support teredo and one internal IP.  Would i need 2 public IPs for each server?  Would I also need one more for the VIP?.  For 2 node cluster 5 public IPs?

Thanks again

Monday, October 7, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Each multisite can have his own NLS. You can host NLS on URA server but in this configuration sur DirectAccess enabled clients located on LAN must be able to reach your URA server. From my experience, this server is located in DMZ and internal clients may not be able to reach it. I would locate NLS on LAN, it would be easier to configure them in high availability (WNLB or HLB).

With NLB/HLB you introduce VIP addresses. Theses addresses represent your serveur from an external and internal point of view. My answer was incompete. I provided VIP details for the external interface and forgot the internal interface.

If you need more information about this scenario have a look on a blog post of mine : http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/archive/2012/03/18/directaccess-high-availability-in-windows-8.aspx

Best regards.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:02 PM