none
Hyper-V Testbed RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of learning Microsoft's server technologies and want to create a testbed using Hyper-V to get some hands-on experience.  I would like to create virtual servers of Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, along with virtual clients running Windows 7 and 8.  I already have a home network and a 1TB NAS.  My questions are:

• How big should my drive be?
    • Is 1TB large enough (I suspect it is not)?
    • Should I use one very large drive or several smaller ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:33 AM

All replies

• How big always depends on what you're going to do with it, but personally I'd suggest you should be fine with 1TB.

In a live environment several smaller drives would be useful for IO performance, but for a lab setup I'd personally go with one big drive. It's less to worry about, if you have a lot of VM's you probably won't have them all running at once, and you're less likely to hit an annoying issue where all the drives have free space but none have enough for what you need.

The thing to remember if that as long as you set the virtual disks to be dynamic (for a test setup I'd definitely recommend you do) then even if you allocate a server 100GB, if it only has 20GB of data then it will only use 20GB of physical space on the disk.

To give some perspective, on my home test setup I currently have 11 virtual machines, running 2003, 2008, 2012, SQL, AD etc and together they're using 174GB of my 1TB disk, so you need either a LOT of test machines or be chewing through some serious data on them before you had any issues with storage usage.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Thanks so much for your reply. I thought it would be enough, but wanted to make sure before I got halfway into building things only to find I was running out of space.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 4:31 AM