need Suggestion/advice RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

I would like to be advised from experts on one career related question.

I have 5 + years of Experience as a DEV and Test.

I had mostly worked on VB6, .NET 1.1[ asp.net ,C#] for 3 years as DEV and since 2 years i am into Software System testing [ its more related to Functionality Testing of applications built using .NET [ asp.net/c#, Sql server 2005 ].

I would like to switch the career to Core Development again and would like to seek experts's adivice..

Iam interested in learning SQL Server 2005 advanced features[ BI]:

Could you pls suggest me one area in SQL server 2005  from below[ parameters:I should be able to learn it quickly on my own,great demand in the market , great scope for development in near fure etc.,] :

1) SSIS

2) Analysis Services

3) Reporting Services etc.,

or any other suggestions are welcome..I appreciate your time responding to this thread.

thanks!

Monday, August 28, 2006 9:33 PM

Answers

• Just wondering why do you want to use SQL Server 2005 when SQL Server 2014 is released?

Start from the latest release - you will be more marketable.

I think you can start from SSRS as this is the simplest of these 3. You can find lots of good articles and you may want to read articles in TechNet Wiki, in particular you may find these articles helpful

TechNet Guru Contributions - SQL BI and Power BI

(Hopefully someone will update this article with 2014 articles). I need to write a new blog post about it.

Hmm, now that I checked the creation date of that thread no wonder the OP was speaking of 2005 at that time. I bet he is already proficient in all these technologies...

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:09 PM

All replies

• All three are good. =^)

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Just wondering why do you want to use SQL Server 2005 when SQL Server 2014 is released?

Start from the latest release - you will be more marketable.

I think you can start from SSRS as this is the simplest of these 3. You can find lots of good articles and you may want to read articles in TechNet Wiki, in particular you may find these articles helpful

TechNet Guru Contributions - SQL BI and Power BI

(Hopefully someone will update this article with 2014 articles). I need to write a new blog post about it.

Hmm, now that I checked the creation date of that thread no wonder the OP was speaking of 2005 at that time. I bet he is already proficient in all these technologies...

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:09 PM

Naomi,

I guess you missed the fact that this question was posted in 2006 .And Ed posted now to just followup :) so OP pointed to 2005 database

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, March 24, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Yes, see last sentence in my post. I noticed that after I already replied and updated my reply.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 24, 2014 10:21 PM