none
How does DPM 2012 Backup Hyper-V Machines on a CSV and how big are these backups? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently assessing the disk space requirements for backing up my existing Hyper-V environment with all Hyper-V VMS being stored on cluster shared volumes.

Is shadow copy used for backing up the VMs on the CSV? If so is there a way in which I can calculate my approximate storage requirement for an environment consisting of 8TB worth of virtual machines?

I believe the disk space required can be totaled up approximately by taking the size of the virtual machine e.g. 500GB and then adding the rate of change of this 500GB machine to the total so if in a week the volume changed by 250GB we'd have to provision around 750GB to hold a weeks worth of backups 1 full + incrementals? Is that right?

At this moment in time we don't have any long term tape based backup but this will be introduced shortly. Is there any way of scoping how much 'long term' tape storage we need too or is it just a case of a 750GB disk 'short-term' based backup equaling 750GB?

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:56 AM

All replies

• Closing for housekeeping.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:27 PM