Re-installing Windows 8 64bit registration question. RRS feed

• Question

• My PC has been crashing randomly for months now. I'm frustrated and coming to the conclusion I may need to re-install Windows 8.

I have 3 hard drives. My current installation is RAID 0 on drives 1 & 2 and I backup to the third.

If I have to re-install I'm thinking about going with RAID 1 and mirroring all 3 drives. My main concern is data redundancy (I'm a writer) and this will allow me to not worry about backups.

My questions is, will this fubar my Windows 8 key/registration?

Because I'm going to have to wipe the drives to change the RAID setup...

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:17 AM

Answers

• Same crashes everyone else has been reporting; fatal eras and unfound dll(s) (nt something).

I think I solved it. Looks like it was the graphics driver. Windows 8 was being stubborn and not loading the correct updated driver. Had to go into devices and switch out the WDDM 1.? driver manually. So far she's been pretty stable... So far.

Still want to do a clean install though. I've changed so much trying to solve this I can't remember every setting I've touched! Besides, I'm kind of OCD, like that that.

I still would like an answer to my original question. If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it.

If I change my RAID setup from 0 (striped) to 1 (mirrored) will this cancel out my Windows 8 registration?

Another quick question, reseting Windows 8 will only erase the data on the drive Windows is installed on, or will it erase the data on my internal backup drive as well? 

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:36 PM

All replies

• Refresh Windows if you think you have some issues that you can't fix:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:04 AM
    Answerer
  • That's not working for me. Refreshed twice and still getting random crashes.

Really need to know if changing my RAID will kill my key/registration.

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:59 AM
  • which crashes? BSOD? If yes, upload the dumps.

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Same crashes everyone else has been reporting; fatal eras and unfound dll(s) (nt something).

I think I solved it. Looks like it was the graphics driver. Windows 8 was being stubborn and not loading the correct updated driver. Had to go into devices and switch out the WDDM 1.? driver manually. So far she's been pretty stable... So far.

Still want to do a clean install though. I've changed so much trying to solve this I can't remember every setting I've touched! Besides, I'm kind of OCD, like that that.

I still would like an answer to my original question. If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it.

If I change my RAID setup from 0 (striped) to 1 (mirrored) will this cancel out my Windows 8 registration?

Another quick question, reseting Windows 8 will only erase the data on the drive Windows is installed on, or will it erase the data on my internal backup drive as well? 

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:36 PM
  • P.S. Thanks for trying to help me.

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:37 PM
  • You can still use the license after a rebuild. If online activation fails, activate Windows via phone.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:02 AM
    Answerer