Why is metadata carried over in a list template for a Word doc and not for a .STP file? RRS feed

• Question

1. I recently saved a Document Library as a list template
    2. When I did this I selected the "Include Content" option
    3. The library had 2 files in it, a Word document saved as a web page (i.e. HTML format) and a .STP file. Both files had metadata associated with them.
    4. When I reprovisioned the library, the content came over with the library, but the metadata only came over for the Word/HTML document and did not come over for the .STP file

Howard Pearse
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:41 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Howard,

I reproduced your issue, the .stp item lost the metadata (description in a column ) in the new list.

In my opinion, it should be that the .stp file item was handled specially by ISAPI Filter (Internet Server API) after IIS when the list was saving as a template (Include Content), you can use SharePoint Manager to check the .stp item properties in new list, you will find there are 2 additional properties “TemplateUrlLinkPIAttribute” and “TemplateUrlLinkPITarget”.

There is a workaround, you can compress the .stp file (i.e. zip), then update it to the library and give a metadata, then it could come over to the new list.

And I suggest that you post the feedback of the issue to the Microsoft SharePoint product team.
    http://connect.microsoft.com/site428

Thanks & Regards,
    Daniel

Regards, Daniel, Microsoft Contingent Staff
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Monday, June 27, 2011 1:39 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Howard,

I reproduced your issue, the .stp item lost the metadata (description in a column ) in the new list.

In my opinion, it should be that the .stp file item was handled specially by ISAPI Filter (Internet Server API) after IIS when the list was saving as a template (Include Content), you can use SharePoint Manager to check the .stp item properties in new list, you will find there are 2 additional properties “TemplateUrlLinkPIAttribute” and “TemplateUrlLinkPITarget”.

There is a workaround, you can compress the .stp file (i.e. zip), then update it to the library and give a metadata, then it could come over to the new list.

And I suggest that you post the feedback of the issue to the Microsoft SharePoint product team.
    http://connect.microsoft.com/site428

Thanks & Regards,
    Daniel

Regards, Daniel, Microsoft Contingent Staff
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Monday, June 27, 2011 1:39 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:19 PM
  • I agree with Daniel. I too reproduced Howard issue. And, I tested most of the other file types such as .wsp, .pdf, .gif, .txt, .xml and .rtf etc. It is working fine for most of the other file types. SharePoint/ IIS ISAPI Filter is handling “.stp” files differently and not carrying the metadata values to new list.

Thanks,

Veera Reddy Kolan
    SharePoint Consultant
    Blog:http://veerareddykolan.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

I also face the same.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:34 PM