0x85010001 active sync error

Question

• Hello, i'm getting an Active Sync error as above on my HTC Touch Dual & also a HTC Touch HD.

Tried so far:

Soft reset phone
    Hard reset phone
    Delete user profile off phone, re-entered user profile on phone
    Deleted my own user profile off my phone, added affected users profile onto my phone error's as above
    Deleted user profile off my phone, took battery out of phone (whilst still on), re-created profile, same error.

Active Sync will sync all the folders, but NONE of the email.

I've also tried changing the download settings to 1 day, headers only, etc. Still no joy.

Its happening on two of our user accounts at the moment, but as I mentioned before, I dont think its the phone at fault, i'm sure its an account problem.

The users password has been reset twice, once this morning & once this evening (to the SAME password), just to make sure its not an account password issue.

The account is not locked out, the user has exactly the same permissions on there AD profile as mine do (my normal account!).

The only thing so far I havent done is make a new account for the user, but i'm loathed to do this as they have a 6GB email profile :(

ANY help would be a godsend as the user is a VIP & goes on holiday tomorrow for a few weeks....

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, I can browse via the internet on the phone to https://outlookmobileaccesswebpage.com , login fine & view emails ok.

He can also login on his own laptop to the above mentioned webpage & again has no problems.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hello megaDev, yes if you read my original post we tried this.

As it turns out after a marathon call to MS it appears it wasn't a windows issue at all (well not entirely).

We had recently implemented Enterprise Vault & it was trying to scan the temp active sync folder on one of our cluster nodes.

We turned EV services off on that node, rebooted & hey presto, AS works again.

• Marked as answer by Kwok2080 Friday, June 26, 2009 9:27 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:26 PM

All replies

• What version of Exchange are you using?

Cheers Wayne
    Airloom
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:36 AM
  • 2003 Enterprise.

I now have the same problem on my phone after trying to fix the issue.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:09 AM
  • I have now cleared my device & started from a fresh (factory defaults), I still have the same issue.

I've read some articles on this problem,

Specifically here..

http://go4techsupport.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/exchange-activesync-support-code-0x85010001/ < Creating a secondary virtual directory for ActiveSync and OMA access - However this is for SBS not Exchange Exterprise!

http://forums.msrportal.com/archive/index.php?t-5957.html  > How to reset the default virtual directories

I've had another user report this problem aswell now, looks like its spreading like a virus :(

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Ok, since the above I have created a fresh account, enabled email on it. Performed a hard reset on my WMP (factory defaults), set-up active sync again from fresh & what do you know, its fine!

So at the moment, it looks like the only fix is to re-create the users account....

Can ANYONE supply any other fix than this?

Many thanks.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:35 AM
  • You mentioned that the users have a 6GB mailbox. Now, I wouldn't know if this is the issue in your case, but I have seen issues where the sync process times out when indexing large mailboxes. The first sync can take a long time, but once it has managed to perform the initial index things should work. So, maybe if you are able to temporarily move some of the mail to a pst folder, do a sync, and then move the data back?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Well, active sync will only sync a max of 1 months email, so I cant see this being a problem.

It sounds like a plan, ill see what I can do with regard ex-merging some of his recent email (1 month) or so, then ex-merging back.

Its a pain in the rear end though & if this happens again, to re-setup the account every-time isn't acceptable.

To get him working this time round, ill see what I can do & post back,

But I'd like to find a solution that doesn't involve re-creating the account.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:27 PM
  • The size of the mailbox affects the indexing process regardless of how many/how few days you choose to sync. So it's worth a test at least.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:48 PM
  • I understand that & most of the guys who are experiencing  this problem have massive mailboxes, 6, 7 & 8GB mailboxes, however, one user that's affected has only 480MB.

Ill archive some of my email & try to sync.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:38 PM
  • I've reduced my mailbox to ~ 400MB & what do you know..... it doesn't work :(

It will sync the folders, but not the email.

Another user is now reporting the 0x85010014 error.

• Marked as answer by Kwok2080 Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kwok2080 Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:11 PM
  • When you're down to 4-500 MB the mailbox size shouldn't be an issue.

Are the user's password up for renewal in the near future? Have seen issues where ActiveSync wouldn't sync when the password needed to be renewed in a weeks time. I know.. It doesn't make sense...

Have also seen some very strange issues where a mailbox that started out on an Exchange 5.5 server, and has gone through some migrations have ended up with some inconsistencies/errors that would cause sync to fail. (Outlook on the desktop knows how to handle this issues, but the devices don't always do.) This is not a very common error, but it has happened on more than one customer I've talked to.

Is this issue present on different devices? Is the error reproducible on another model, or the emulator for instance?

These are just some suggestions off the top of my head...
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hello, funny you should say about the migrations, but its affecting me now too & I've never been migrated....

Password has been reset for the main affected user by me before we started troubleshooting.

Its affecting multiple different models of phones, I use a HTC Touch Dual, the other guys use a Tytn II, HTC Touch HD etc.

You say emulator? Is there a Windows Phone emulator?

I found a ActiveSync Web Administration Tool from Microsoft, has anyone had any experience of this software?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Rebooting the front end server made no difference either.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:05 PM
  • We still have no resolution to this error.

It looks like the server has died a death & we will be building a new box.

Oh well.

• Proposed as answer by megaDev Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:20 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I have a Stupid question:
    Have you tried to synchronize using another mobile ?

Just to check if it works (then issu is not from your server)

I had the same issue with HTC Touch HD, HTC dual.
    I had to modify the server certificate. Then it never worked again error code 0x85010001 again and again).
    I tried a LOT of tricks.

I tried manipulations on the server without success.
    Then I tried with a Nokia N95. Synch was fine on a Nokia N95.

Only solution I found was a HARD RESET. Then it worked fine.

This can be difficult to do if the mobile has a lot of important data on it.

So if someone has a method .... don't hesitate please.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hello megaDev, yes if you read my original post we tried this.

As it turns out after a marathon call to MS it appears it wasn't a windows issue at all (well not entirely).

We had recently implemented Enterprise Vault & it was trying to scan the temp active sync folder on one of our cluster nodes.

We turned EV services off on that node, rebooted & hey presto, AS works again.

• Marked as answer by Kwok2080 Friday, June 26, 2009 9:27 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:26 PM