none
Microsoft ODBC for Oracle - Fail to create RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a strange problem that occur on lots of our machine,

We deploy a fresh Windows 7 32Bit OS from SCCM.

I created a script that adds a "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" DSN on all of our workstation (part of the task sequence).

I tested the script and its work great, but...

Some users have problem that the DSN is not showing on the "ODBC Data Source Administrator"

Now, when I try to manually add the DSN, the moment I select "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" i get the following error -

I'm googling the web for few days now and cant find a solution...

Please help...

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think this question would be better asked on the Oracle Support Forums as it seems to be an issue with the Oracle Components. You can find their forums here:

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/main.jspa;jsessionid=8d92100c30d6e697e16ca2894dcc9ebb8d7f5f585c98.e34SbxmSbNyKai0Lc3mPbhmSb3uMe0?categoryID=84

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:38 AM
  • "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" is part of windows 7 (build in) and was developed by Microsoft so... i believe that Microsoft forums is the right place to ask this question...

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Correct, I based my opinion on the error about the components apparently missing. Here is a Knowledge base article about troubleshooting this very issue:

How To Troubleshoot an ASP-to-Oracle Connectivity Problem

There is a similar thread on the Oracle forums which contains some solutions you can attempt to fix your problem:

Thread: Oracle client and networking components were not found

Do those steps resolve your issue?

Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

The issue is caused by the systems that has debug connectivity issues. Refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259959

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:22 AM
  •  Hi,

I am facing a similar issue.

I was able to connect to Oracle Database  from Excel without having to download the oracle Client on Windows XP.

Now, after running the odbcad.exe file, I can see the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle in the list of drivers but get the " Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation." error.

My question is , Is it necessary to download the oracle client on windows 7 to connect to the DB.

Can we not use the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle(windows 7) by itself ?

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

well the problem didn't resolve, it looks like nobody is really using this anymore.

we ended up installing the oracle client on a network location and pointing from the the environment variables.

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hey, 

Thank you for ur response.. 

This seems to be a good solution.

Just to be sure I got it right, u downloaded the client on a shared location,

and when each individual user runs the script , u change the path variable on his machine to point to this client?

IF you could also please mention which are the environment variables that need to be changed ?  (Is it only Path)

Thanks againn!

Jisha

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:01 AM
  • hi,

yes, by group policy i added the location of the oracle client install dir to the path in the environment variables.

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Thank you for your answer. But This solution cannot work for me as we dont have a shared location.

The users of my form will be in different countries and locations and there is no common shared drive.

Any other solution u had thought of while working on ur prob?

Thanks in advance!

Jisha

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:23 AM
  • i resolved this problem installing a 32bit Oracle Instant Client Package - ODBC:Additional libraries for enabling ODBC applications ... after restarting the pc Microsoft odbc for oracle driver worked fine!

Bye

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:28 AM