none
Run MDT Tasksequence on a Azure VM - Post Install RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

i have a MDT Server in my Azure Location. Now my goal is, to create new Azure VM´s that run after creating automaticly a MDT Tasksequence without any interactions. Is that possible and when yes, how? i was not able to run a MDT Tasksequence without my interaction. For Testing i logged into a Azure VM what i have created before, and let than run the litetouch.vbs, and pick up my Task (Post Install Task), and than all is running fine. But i will do that when i create the Azure VM´s over Posh, but i dont know how i can do that fully automated. Is there a way?

Regards Frank

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:58 AM

All replies

• Have you tried initiating an MDT task sequence using the custom extension functionality?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:03 AM
  • hi anton

no i dont use the extension for that. what i do with custom extension first is the domain join. can i add here the mdt task also? can you show me an example? i am not sure how to do that in the custom script than.

frank

#DomainJoin the Machine after creating
    Set-AzureRmVMExtension -ResourceGroupName $RGCompute -Location $Location -VMName $VMName -Name "DomainJoin" -Publisher "Microsoft.Compute"-ExtensionType "CustomScriptExtension" -TypeHandlerVersion "1.0" -Settings $Settings -ProtectedSettings $ProtectedSettings

• Edited by frank-pcdok Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:40 AM
  • You could try running a PowerShell script that triggers MDT install. Something along those lines should work:

cscript.exe //Nologo //B "\\DeploymentServer\Share\Scripts\litetouch.vbs" "/SkipTaskSequence:YES /SkipBDDWelcome:YES /SkipSummary:YES /SkipFinalSummary:YES /HideShell:YES /TaskSequenceID:UP2Win10 /SkipDeploymentType:Yes /SkipAdminPassword:YES"

Granted I have not tried running MDT in Azure and I do not have a test Environment handy, but I do not see why this approach should not work for you. 

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:22 AM
  • ok, i will try it and let you know
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:47 PM
  • hi anton

i see that now the mdt task is beginning but after restart it says password not correct, how i must invoke username and pwd in that mdt script? i am not familiar with all this parameters, so maybe you can help again?

and did you know how i can extend my custom extension not only with domain join also with this mdt tasksequence so that after a reboot from vm, this custom extension runs again, to begin the mdt task?

regards frank

• Edited by frank-pcdok Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:27 AM