Cisco VPN Client Virtual Network Card RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Cisco VPN Client was not able to install his virtual network card.

MfG
    Hallo32
    Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:35 PM

Answers

• Cisco VPN Client Version v4.8.01.0410-k9-BETA (Tested on Build 5456) is the only version that will install flawlessy and work properly (no tweaks or work arounds needed). Previous versions seem to interfere with the newer (Zone Alarm version) of Windows Firewall.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 5:52 AM

All replies

• I have a report from my co-worker who said that the Cisco 4.8.x client 'breaks' IE in Vista. No further troubleshooting was done.
    Monday, June 19, 2006 7:46 PM
  • I was able to get Cisco VPN client 4.0.3 installed by making the "setup.exe" run in XP compatable mode. It starts and tries to connect, but hangs there. In XP, I had to disable "Fast User Switching" for it to work, but I haven't found a way to do so in Vista.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:37 PM
  • Hello guys,

the last beta version of the cisco vpn client works fine but the graphical installer doesnt't work, you have to install it in command line shell with msiexec /i  vpnclient_setup.msi

you can download it with a cco account at cisco but I have uploaded it on 2 sites :

http://s6.quicksharing.com/v/9061630/vpnclient_win_msi_4.8.01.0410_k9_BETA.exe.html
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EAU6GWUC

Regards

Yann

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:01 PM
  • I tried using the command shell to install and I keep getting an error something like... "package could not be opened. Contact vendor to verify this is a valid Windows installer patch"
    Also I used   msiexec/package/vpnclient_setup.msi  in the command line...the other option kept coming up with the re-try syntax window.
    Should I not have uninstalled the previous version?  Could you repost the command line.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I want to test Vista, but need access to my network via the cisco vpn.

Thank you very much
    Ellie
    Friday, June 23, 2006 10:40 PM
  • I downloaded your client, extracted and tried the commandline install as you suggested and got a syntex error window. I reordered the command "msiexec /i vpnclient_setup.msi /qn" and it acted like it installed, but didn't. I then opened an explorer window, set the "vpnclient_setup.exe" to run in XP compatablitiy mode, ran it and got the client to install, but it too hangs at "Contacting the security gateway".

I am still looking for a way to kill the "Fast User Switching". I'm guessing that, that is interferring with the connection like it did in XP.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 4:31 AM
  • Hello,

when you execute the archive, extract it in c:\toto, go to a command shell box, do it :

c:
    cd \
    cd toto
    msiexec /i vpnclient_setup.msi

after when you test a vpn connection you will see that the vpn link isn't ok, so as to do it, go to "network center", clic on "manage network connections", find the "local aera connection x" linked to the vpn cisco ( right clic on it and properties, the good is the oe with "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter", clic on cancel), right clic on it again and do enable. Try again to establish a vpn connection and it will be ok.

After your vpn session, right clic on the yellow cadenas object on the right down of the screen and close the session, too it will be disable the "local aera connection x"

It 's my return of experience about it, if you have have another problem try to explain me it in details

Regards
    sorry for my english but I am just a french guy

at home all securities are disabled ( no firewall, no windows defender, no malware protection), I use windows vista beta 2
    Monday, June 26, 2006 8:44 AM
  • Your english is fine (mon francias pas bien!)...thank you for the assistance with the install, which finally worked.  But yes, now the VPN.pcf file isn't able to connect to my server.  I tried to disable and then re-enable the network connection from the Network Center, and it still didn't work. "Failed to enable network adapter" is the error I get.
    Any thoughts?  If not, I'm just going to let it go.
    Merci,
    Eleonora
    Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:54 AM
  • My dear Ellie you are going to manage it in a few time.

You can't connect with vpn.pcf, you can just import it with the file menu in the import section.

don't touch to your network adapter corresponding to your network card but before do a vpn connection, enable the network adapter corresponding to vpn cisco ( do a right clic on each network adapter so as to find the one corresponding to the vpn cisco driver, it is a virtual network adapter)

give me your email address and I will send you screenshots

Yann

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:46 AM
  • Yann,
    Thank you very much for your assistance.  I really appreciate it!

My e-mail is emorrell@microknowledge.com

Eleonora
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:13 PM
  • I am moving your question to the setup forum, they should be able to provide more guidance,or point you in a better direction.

~Elizabeth Ross - MSFT

Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:59 PM
  • Cisco VPN Client Version v4.8.01.0410-k9-BETA (Tested on Build 5456) is the only version that will install flawlessy and work properly (no tweaks or work arounds needed). Previous versions seem to interfere with the newer (Zone Alarm version) of Windows Firewall.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 5:52 AM