none
split behavior and arrays in PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to write a script that parses out the contents of a multi-string registry key. Its behavior, however, seems to change based on the number of lines in a key. Here's the script:

$key = 'hklm:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa'
    $attribute = 'Authentication Packages'
    $AuthPkgs = Get-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name $attribute | select -ExpandProperty $attribute
    $AuthPkgs -split("'n")
    $AuthPkgs[0]
    $AuthPkgs[1]

This is fairly straight forward, it looks for the "Authentication Packages" attribute in "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA"

This is a multi-string value, so it is possible to have more than one line here (worth noting this does appear to split by line), though on a typical OS there is only one value (msv1_0). If I were to add a second value to this key, the script will work as intended:

$AuthPkgs[0] will equal msv1_0

$AuthPkgs[1] will equal whatever my new value is.

If, however, I leave the key alone and run the script, I get the following results:

$AuthPkgs[0] will equal m

$AuthPkgs[1] will equal s

It seems, in this case, that it splits the single value by the characters. I don't want it to do this. Is there a way to define my split so that it does not?

Nathan Gau MCT, MCITP, MCTS, CEH, CISSP

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:38 PM

Answers

• The issue is that when the value you read from the registry is a single value, PowerShell will return it as a string; if it contains multiple values, it will be an array of strings.

To ensure the value you read is always an array, read it this way:

$AuthPkgs = @(Get-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name $attribute | Select-Object -ExpandProperty $attribute)

Encapsulating in @() tells PowerShell to return as an array, even if it's a single value.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:43 PM

All replies

• The issue is that when the value you read from the registry is a single value, PowerShell will return it as a string; if it contains multiple values, it will be an array of strings.

To ensure the value you read is always an array, read it this way:

$AuthPkgs = @(Get-ItemProperty -Path $key -Name $attribute | Select-Object -ExpandProperty $attribute)

Encapsulating in @() tells PowerShell to return as an array, even if it's a single value.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:43 PM
  • wow, you guys rock.. that worked.

Nathan Gau MCT, MCITP, MCTS, CEH, CISSP

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:46 PM
  • Actually an MULTI_SZ is always and array.  The array is stored as null terminated strings with two null after the last entry.  PowerSHell always converts this to a [string[]] of length one or more.   There is never a need to do more than get the compnents like this

$ms = get-itemproperty -Path HKCU:\Software\Test -name test
    $mc.Count
    $ms[0]

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:55 PM