Unable to reconnect to Mapped Network Drive/Shared Folder - Error 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated my domain's login script to state the following: net use s:/delete net use s: \\SSPDC001\sharedfiles net use u: /delete net use u: \\wikiserver\userfolders Before this update to the script, the file only mapped the S: sharedfiles every time a user logged on. Now, when a user logs in, they can see the U: mapped drive, but they are unable to access the S: mapped drive, nor can they navigate to \\sspdc001. However, they can ping sspdc001, and can access the server by using the IP address (10.77.1.10). When they try and access anything using the sspdc001 name, they get the error: Windows Cannot Access \\sspdc001 Error Code 0x80004005 Unspecified Error I have temporarily updated the script to state: net use s:/delete net use s: \\10.77.1.10\sharedfiles net use u: /delete net use u: \\wikiserver\userfolders and that seems to work fine in allowing user to get to the S and U mapped drives, but I would like to get the system back to using the sspdc001 instead of the server's IP Address. Also to note, if I return the script back to it's original state of only mapping the S network drive, I still run into the same problem withe not being able to connect to sspdc001. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fix this so that I can use \\sspdc001\sharedfiles instead of using the IP address? Domain/Shared Files Server - Windows 2003 Std Edition SP2 User Computers - Windows 7 Pro Edition - 64 bit
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is not related to the map script, it is a network connection issue.

If all clients have the same issue, please find one and clear the local cache files to see if it will help:

Step 1: Clear the Hosts file
    --------------------------------------
    1. Click Start, click Run, type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose Delete.
    3. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Step 2: Clean up the Domain Name Resolution (DNS) cache
    --------------------------------------
    1. Click Start, click Run, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. In the popup window, type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

If issue still exists, you will need to have a look on the DNS settings to see if the entry related to the server is changed recently.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:05 AM