windows 8.1 probably the disc is full- error message when i try to save and open a file i downloaded. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to download a program from the internet and I save it to my download folder. when I try to save it or open it, I get an error message saying probably the disc is full. this is a new computer with plenty of disc space available.
    • Moved by Michael_LS Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:41 AM
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please have a share with the full error messages here?

How large of the files you are trying to download? If possible, please choose another partition to save the file. There might be  not enough free space with your C: partitiion.

Besides, make sure the files downloaded is safe, or from the offical website.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:51 AM words
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:49 AM

All replies

• The title of this forum is "Windows 7 IT Pro Windows 7 Miscellaneous ". I would ask the experts in a Windows 8 forum.
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:26 PM
  • Hi

Correct, it needs to be in the correct forum but check your anti virus, is it happening with all browsers or just IE?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Go to the Windows 8 forums found @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please have a share with the full error messages here?

How large of the files you are trying to download? If possible, please choose another partition to save the file. There might be  not enough free space with your C: partitiion.

Besides, make sure the files downloaded is safe, or from the offical website.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:51 AM words
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:49 AM
  • I am trying to download a program from the internet and I save it to my download folder. when I try to save it or open it, I get an error message saying probably the disc is full. this is a new computer with plenty of disc space available.

how much free space on C: do you have available?

you may need a NAS to move some previous downloads too etc

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:57 AM