Windows stops working after start-up RRS feed

• Question

• Recently whenever I restarted my laptop windows stops working. I get the message "The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait". I end the proccess and sometimes it reloads (and if it does it just goes throught the same thing again) or just seems to freeze up. I can run the system in safe mode just fine. I have done virus and malware scans to make sure it was not something from that. I also did a system restore to a previous time when it was working fine to no sucess.

have done a sfc scan - it found errors but still have the same issue when I try and boot not in safe mode.

running AVG scan in safe mode, getting a number of errors on the cmd prompt screen:

error 0xe0010058 : c:\Documents and settings\
    error 0xe0010053 : c:\hiberfil.sys
    error 0xe0010058 : c:\ProgramData\Documents\

to list a few

I have no audio when in safe mode - when I try and turn the audio on it does a troubleshoot and I get the message: One or more audio service not running.
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:34 AM

Answers

• Was SFC able to repair all the errors?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

Since this issue occurred recently, you can perform a system restore to see how it works.

Also, run the System File Checker tool again to see the result.

Sometimes, incorrect settings of anti-virus or anti-spyware may cause some issues. Another possible cause is conflicted background programs. I suggest that you temporary disable the security programs. If the issue still occurs, boot in Clean Boot Mode. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.  

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:50 AM

All replies

• Was SFC able to repair all the errors?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

Since this issue occurred recently, you can perform a system restore to see how it works.

Also, run the System File Checker tool again to see the result.

Sometimes, incorrect settings of anti-virus or anti-spyware may cause some issues. Another possible cause is conflicted background programs. I suggest that you temporary disable the security programs. If the issue still occurs, boot in Clean Boot Mode. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.  

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:50 AM