Shared Services database is growing too blarge RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In a MOSS with 16GB content, the shared services Db is 15GB, leaving only 1 GB free on my disk.

Is this a normal behaviour? I've not enabled Search server service.

How can I shrink the database? 

Thank you

Christos
    Friday, December 3, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• i believe its not normal behavior, check the log file if you can see something their may be your SSP db is corrupt.

MSFT not recomend for the shrinking  of a content DB. But if you have no other choice then 

Shrink the content Db using the following method.

a.In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine and then expand that instance.

b.Expand Databases and then right-click the database that you want to shrink.

c.Point to Tasks, point to Shrink, and then click Files.

d.Select the file type and file name.

e.select the Reorganize files before releasing unused space check box. If this is selected, the Shrink file to value must be specified. By default, the option is cleared.

(Selecting this option causes any unused space in the file to be released to the operating system and tries to relocate rows to unallocated pages.)

f.Click OK.

this will release the unused space back to OS.

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    Friday, December 3, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Thanks

I went to sql and it has only 25 megs free!!

Christos
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:00 PM
  • The Size for SSP database is not directly correlated to the size of the content DB. For my 2 Content DBS on a server with 170 & 35 GB my SSP is only 250 MB. SSP Shuld store data like User profiles, Search scopes, Web usage data and such. you may want to investigate on how many user profiles you have. do you have usage analysis turned on and how long it has been running etc. 

you may want to see which are large tables in there and take appropriate action to reduce the data storage.

HTH
    Nagesh S

Days and years do not mean anything to me. Moments shared are frozen
    in their time frame. Distance or time never fades them for me. I cherish them
    like my life. I have never let them sleep alone. Sachi
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Thanks Nagesh

There aren't user profiles, search scopes (I think)! It's an internet web server.

Christos
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Searching the tables, I've found that the problem was a table named AspStatetempsessions -  the store procedure to delete expired sessions was missing.

http://www.jj54.com/370139-ASPStateTempSessions-Table-In-The-SSP-Database-Is-Not-Cleaned-Up-Automatically/

Well,  You can't delete 2.000.000 sesions in once, because the table is locked, so, you do it in bunches of 1.000 + 1 second delay.

Christos
    • Marked as answer by XristosK Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:32 PM