Device constanty wants to install each login RRS feed

• Question

• The problem i am having is after every log in i always get a box popping up asking from Device Software Installation to finish installing the device or ask later.  Each time i say finish and each time it says its ready to use.  However if i log back in i have to do this all over again.

I am using Vista ultimate

Laptop HP Pavilion DV9005us
    The device it keeps bothering me about is the Geforce 6150 video card. 

Any idea why this is happening?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this issue occurs with several NVIDIA users. You can visit the following website on a similar issue.

NVIDIA Forums

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t76768.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Meanwhile, I may suggest that you perform the following troubleshooting first.

1. Turn off UAC, and manually install the latest driver in another location, then see if the issue occurs.

Turn off UAC

============

1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch. 

3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.

2. Check Windows Update to see if there is any available updates, make sure that all device drivers in your computer are up to date.

3. This issue seems to occur after NVIDA releases the driver update, I may also suggest that you contact NVIDA for support.

Hope this helps. Thanks 

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your question to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. Manually uninstall the driver completely and restart the computer, then reinstall it . You can download the latest Windows Vista compatible driver either from HP website or NVIDA website.

HP NVIDIA GeForce Driver

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51679-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3253944&os=2093&lang=en

NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series Driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_182.50_whql.html

Note: 

Restart the computer and see if the issue occurs.

2. Check the Startup Service, and perform Diagnostic startup. Verify if any program causes this issue.

3. The symptoms you described above seems like that you are logging on a temporary profile. Therefore, any changes that you make to the current profile are lost after you log off the system. I may suggest that you create a administrator account and log on to try to install other applications and restart the computer to see if the application take effect. If not, reinstall the driver.

Meanwhile, please visit the following website for more information on temporary profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

Please respond back and let me know if the issue persists. If there are any other symptoms, please describe in details and I will perform a further troubleshooting. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Thank you for your help. unfortunatly it still happens. 

When i reboot i will find in the system tray a little icon installing device drivers.  Then shortly a pop up box will display saying "Windows will now finish installing device drivers from the manufactuer of this device."

It gives you two options either to finish installing the software or to ask me later. 

Then after i choose finish installing software it will install the driver then say "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 Device driver software installed successfully. "

Every single time i reboot or log in it does this. 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this issue occurs with several NVIDIA users. You can visit the following website on a similar issue.

NVIDIA Forums

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t76768.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Meanwhile, I may suggest that you perform the following troubleshooting first.

1. Turn off UAC, and manually install the latest driver in another location, then see if the issue occurs.

Turn off UAC

============

1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch. 

3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.

2. Check Windows Update to see if there is any available updates, make sure that all device drivers in your computer are up to date.

3. This issue seems to occur after NVIDA releases the driver update, I may also suggest that you contact NVIDA for support.

Hope this helps. Thanks 

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:04 AM