"Update Now" button not updating Contact List in Outlook 2016 & Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Following these instructions, we have edited an existing contact, opened the contact list, clicked the "Update Now" button, but the relevant person's new email address is not visible - the old email address is visible.

Outlook 2016 & Office 365.

Help appreciated.

• Edited by SRD75 Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:05 AM
    • Moved by Steve Fan Friday, January 26, 2018 6:53 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which contact did you edit? Based on my testing, 'Update Now' works for contacts that are in Contacts folder but not in GAL. If the contacts exist in both GAL and Contacts folder, it will update based on the GAL first. You may try and verify whether this is the same case in your environment.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:05 AM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

There were in a shared contacts.

We had initially created the contacts list in the shared contacts, but when ticking "create a contact", the new contact was created in the default personal contacts.

We copied the contact from personal contacts to the shared contacts where the contact list was, but editing the contact in the shared contacts did not allow us to "Update Contacts" in the contact list in the shared contacts.

• Edited by SRD75 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:14 AM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

As I mentioned in my first reply, not matter in which contact folder (as local one or a shared one) the contacts are, as long as they belong to the GAL, "Update Contacts" will update based on the GAL first. So, if the contacts are not changed in GAL, "Update Contacts" will do nothing for the contact list.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:04 AM
  • Thanks.

How do we determine if the contact folder is in the GAL?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:55 AM
  • I mean the contacts, not the contact folder. You can verify whether the contacts are in your GAL via searching for them in your GAL.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:52 AM