How to completly disable Windows Search feature from Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

Is there any way to completely disable Windows Search feature in Windows 10? In Windows 7, we could go and disable the Search functionality by disabling it from "Turn Windows Features on or off". But, I can't find a similar setting in Windows 10. 

Kind Regards,

sK 

• Edited by Sreejith Kumar Monday, October 26, 2015 7:26 AM Modified question
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a puzzle since Windows 8.1. I am afraid that it still cannot be done in Windows 10. I have to admit that the process in Windows 7 is much easier than further Windows since Windows search was a removable feature of previous Windows version and Integrated into shell UI as posted on his reply. Instead of disable that, if you don’t want some files show up under search result, it has a variety of group policy for search result control. They are under Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-Windows Components->search, turn-Off Windows 10 search indexing and Windows search service.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 10:06 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 9:31 AM

All replies

• You can disable Cortana and Search online  showing on  Start menu.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:26 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!

The steps mentioned in your post will only disable the Cortana and web search from the start menu but I'm looking for options to completely remove "Windows Search" feature on a machine. This was possible in Windows 7 via "Turn Windows Features on or off", wherein Windows Search was listed as a feature. I can't find the same in Windows 10.

Kind Regards,

sK

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:41 AM
  • it is very easy to find it by asking Cortana. If you want to make things complicated by switching her off then do it old fashion way by right clicking on start menu, go to control panel, and find it there

• Edited by ptr.chovan Monday, October 26, 2015 12:51 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 12:50 PM
  • it is very easy to find it by asking Cortana. If you want to make things complicated by switching her off then do it old fashion way by right clicking on start menu, go to control panel, and find it there

Looking at your reply, I'm not sure if you have understood my query. I seek to know how I could remove the Windows Search feature completely from a Windows 10 machine. In Windows 7, it was possible through Control Panel->Programs & Features->Turn Windows Search On/Off. In Windows 10 the "Windows Search" is not listed as a feature which could be installed or uninstalled by a user.

Any idea where this feature could be accessed from in Windows 10?

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:56 AM
  • oh.. I thought you meant this

Sorry

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:03 AM
  • I appreciate your help. I was referring to exactly what you have posted in your screenshot. If you notice in Windows 10, the Windows Search feature is not listed as a feature option that could be turned on/off by user. Does this mean that Microsoft has removed "Windows Search" as a feature that could be controlled by a user?  
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:42 AM
  • Windows Search feature is not listed as a feature option that could be turned on/off by user.

That actually started in W8.1.  There we had to use DISM to enable or disable otherwise hidden features.

However, now that PowerShell is more emphasized I imagine we should try to find the equivalent functionality using it...

PS>Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName *search* -ONline

FeatureName      : SearchEngine-Client-Package
    DisplayName      : Windows Search
    Description      : Provides content indexing, property caching, and search results for files, e-mail, and other content.
    RestartRequired  : Possible
    State            : Enabled
    CustomProperties :
                       \SoftBlockLink : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142506

Heh.  Look where the "SoftBlockLink" goes:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-happens-if-i-turn-off-windows-search

with the ever so helpful suggestion about the OS at the bottom.  Guess what will happen if you try that?

Ditto if I try to use my Surface Help app.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

This is a puzzle since Windows 8.1. I am afraid that it still cannot be done in Windows 10. I have to admit that the process in Windows 7 is much easier than further Windows since Windows search was a removable feature of previous Windows version and Integrated into shell UI as posted on his reply. Instead of disable that, if you don’t want some files show up under search result, it has a variety of group policy for search result control. They are under Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-Windows Components->search, turn-Off Windows 10 search indexing and Windows search service.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 10:06 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 9:31 AM
  • To disable Windows Search follow these instructions:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=53

... or run Services ("services.msc"), select Windows Search, click Properties and set Startup type to Disabled.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Here is how I successfully disabled Windows 10 Search (yes, completely, including the simple [Windows Key] + [Application Name] search that never seems to be disabled regardless of all the other stuff shown). Note, I don't recommend this unless you've tested.

1. Creat a new software restriction policy

• Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Software Restriction Policies -> Additional Rule

2. Create a new path rule (right-click, New Path Rule...), and add the following path, setting the Security Level to  "Disallowed"

• C:\Windows\System32\Search*.exe

I know the %System32% environment variable should work, but for some reason, it doesn't always, so I put in a manual path. Don't forget all the other Cortana stuff too, but in combination, this is the last step that gets rid of being able to type anything after pressing the Windows key.

• Edited by drshorty Friday, March 30, 2018 5:43 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Need to rename the " Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"  folder.

Path:  C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy 

First Disable tasks "Search" and "Search Background Task Host"

This will do the job :)

Monday, September 24, 2018 12:29 AM
  • What about just right clicking a drive, going to properties, and then unchecking the option

"Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"

Then rebuild the index file.  If the purpose is to reduce disk space used, would that help?

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:13 PM