Move-SPSite from oldcontentdatabase to newcontent database RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to move site collection from old to new content database. in the process my new contentdatabase grow 200 gb, in fact my actuall contentdatabase is 180 gb.

anybody know why its happened like that

after a while my sql server ran out of memory, to avoid crashing whole farm, i just removed new contentdatabase from webapplication and delete the contentdatabase.

here is actual problem, now when iam access the site, it throughing 403 forbiden error.

Could some body please tell me, what is going at situation

Thanks

B

• Moved by star.warsModerator Monday, October 10, 2011 6:07 AM admin question (From:SharePoint - Search (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi bhanua,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hello,

For your first question:
    What process did you use to move the site collection from the old to the new content database? (Include any commands you used via the command line)

For your second question:
    How did you get the site data back from the new content database to the old content database? (Include any commands you used via the command line)
    Are you using a farm administrator account to perform all of these actions?
    Have any of your account credentials (including passwords) changed since you made this change to the databases in the farm?

General:
    What Version of SharePoint are you using?
    Can you post the text from the 403 error in a reply to this thread?
    Can you reproduce the 403 error and find it in your ULS logs and post this error as well?

Comments:
    I assume you are splitting this content database to be within performance and capacity best practice. Note that even after the transfer of content, you want the content databases to be below 100GB each. Here is a great resource center for MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 to use as a guideline:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb736741.aspx

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:47 PM