none
SSL for SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Can someone please point me in the right direction for obtaining and requirements/best practice for securing SBS 2011 Standard VPN,EXCHANGE and REMOTE WEB ACCESS for a standalone single SBS Server.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:02 AM

Answers

• Hi:

Use the SBS wizard to do this.  You only need a standard single name cert as SBS magic takes care of the various SBS websites and VPN.

Last I looked Go Daddy was offering an SSL cert for $4.99/yr for up to 5 years at this price.  You can see how to install this particular vendors cert here:

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2009/02/installing-godaddy-standard-ssl.html

However, you can use any vendors cert that you like, but be sure to use the wizard to create the file you give to the vendor to issue the cert, then use the wizard to import the cert.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:46 AM
  • Yep, but we discourage VPN in favor of RWA.  More secure, less trouble.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Use the SBS wizard to do this.  You only need a standard single name cert as SBS magic takes care of the various SBS websites and VPN.

Last I looked Go Daddy was offering an SSL cert for $4.99/yr for up to 5 years at this price.  You can see how to install this particular vendors cert here:

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2009/02/installing-godaddy-standard-ssl.html

However, you can use any vendors cert that you like, but be sure to use the wizard to create the file you give to the vendor to issue the cert, then use the wizard to import the cert.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:46 AM
  • Excellent, thankyou exactly what i was looking for, actually even better, that's great that SBS looks after the certificate name.

So just to confirm i do NOT neet to buy a SAN certificate, but simply use the wizard and sbs will secure, OWA and VPN on the same cert?

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Yep, but we discourage VPN in favor of RWA.  More secure, less trouble.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Ok excellent, thanks for that little bit extra superb piece of information.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:21 AM