Windows 7 x64 Ultimate using only one core of T5600 core2duo RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

So the issue I'm having is that I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate (from XP Ultimate) and the computer was working really slowly.

First I opened task manager and found only one CPU was being monitored, there was only one window for one CPU, not two windows with only one firing!

This I found strange, checked the WEI and my processor got a 2.3 rating (its a Core 2 Duo @ 1,83Mhz,  a T5600), I then downloaded a tone of widgets to check if they could "see" the other core, nothing. I went into msconfig, the no. of processors box is unchecked, if I check it, the drop down menu only gives me the option of picking 1 CPU.

I found a guy with the same problem using Vista, but I can't seem to be able to use his fix: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/1010605.htm (bottom of page, can't find the HAL detection checkbox)

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on an HP nx9420 laptop with 3GB of RAM, a new HDD (250GB), the old one just stopped working really, and the Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1,83Mhz that is running only one core.

Help is much appreciated, because I've been at this problem for a week, the computer is DEAD slow and I can't find anything online.

THANX!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the computer model, I searched from the HP website and found that they do not provide the HP Compaq nx9420 Notebook PC drivers for Windows 7. You’d better contact HP Support to check if this laptop is fully compatible with Windows 7.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you download and update the BIOS from HP website to check the result.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:24 AM

All replies

• Go into the BIOS and check if you disabled 1 Core.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Hi Andre!

Thanks for your post!

I'm not entirely sure how to "go into BIOS" and fix the problem because I've never done it and if you could tell me, that would be fantastic.

What I've done till now is uninstall both processors in DEVICE MANAGER which is the only program that consistently "sees" both cores and after the restart I went directly into msconfig and just confirmed all boxes unchecked in the advance tab. It showed both cores after restart, which was great, but then I put the computer to sleep and it restarted itself and then we went back to one core being used.

I tried recreating the same conditions, without success.

I haven't got a clue of what I should be doing. HELP!!!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:22 AM
  • It showed both cores after restart, which was great, but then I put the computer to sleep and it restarted itself and then we went back to one core being used.

so, 1 core is lost after using the sleep mode? In this case, contact the MS support. I have no idea how to fix this.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

According to the computer model, I searched from the HP website and found that they do not provide the HP Compaq nx9420 Notebook PC drivers for Windows 7. You’d better contact HP Support to check if this laptop is fully compatible with Windows 7.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you download and update the BIOS from HP website to check the result.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:24 AM