none
Microsoft Project 2007 - Resource is not allocated over a period of time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a task that has 3 resources allocated for  1528 hours.....in the middle of the resource usage timeline for the task I see that one of the resources is not allocated for a two week period. I checked the calendar and there is no issue with the person being on vacation or anything else. Any idea on why this person might not be allocated for this time period?

Thanks,

Steve 

Monday, August 18, 2014 10:52 PM

Answers

• Steve,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I guess there is a waiting period before new users can post a screenshot. I'm not sure what that's all about but I assume there is a valid reason for it.

It seems there is often more to the story than is originally presented to us and that's why Trevor made the comment about the "20 questions".

With regard to comments. There are many ways to set up a task and it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, other than the obvious of completing the task in the desired time frame. Keep in mind that Project cannot "think" for you, so when you say you expect it to optimize or do certain things, it does not have the intelligence to make a decision. It operates on a set of rules based on its work equation:

Duration = Work/Units

Not knowing your end goal, breaking your task into parts may very well be the best approach. If it meets your needs and gives you the insight to successfully manage your project, then you have set it up correctly. Project's leveling feature is designed to help resolve resource overallocations. It can be a useful tool but it won't replace the necessary thought process of a project manger, there are just too many "soft" variables in project management. Further, it doesn't sound like you had an issue with resource overallocation, so leveling wouldn't help in this case.

It looks like you answered your own question but if any or all of our responses were helpful to you, we appreciate a vote.

John

• Marked as answer by greggsteve Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Does the Indicator field perhaps say that the hours for that resources have been edited (i.e somebody manually edited that resource's hours)?

John

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:03 PM
  • There are no indicators that the field was manually edited it.

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:22 PM
  • Steve,

Are there actuals against the task?

Does that resource have the same gap in other tasks where he/she is assigned?

Can you post a screenshot of the Resource Usage view showing the relevant timeframe where the resource is not assigned?

John

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:27 AM
  • Is the 1528 hours Duration or Work?

If 1528 hours is the Duration, and the definition of "1 Day" is 8 hours, that's about 19 days.

Do you have automatic leveling turned on?

Are all three resources assigned at 100% (see the Assign Resource dialog)?

... and 20 other questions... but there is too much unknown to give a good answer.

If you post a screenshot or send it to me and I can see what you see, I will explain it in 5 minutes. trevorATperfectproject.com.au

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:31 AM
  • I get a message when trying to upload an image that says that my account needs to be verified....in the mean time I realized that my resource started the task earlier then the other two resources....therefore she ended earlier....i had assumed that ms project would optimize the duration of the task so all three ended at the same time..... it did, but it provided a gap in the middle for the first resource....so I am breaking the task down into smaller components - the first month is only 1 resource, the rest of the time is all 3 three resources, this appears to work....any comments? would leveling help this situation?

thanks for any help!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Steve,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I guess there is a waiting period before new users can post a screenshot. I'm not sure what that's all about but I assume there is a valid reason for it.

It seems there is often more to the story than is originally presented to us and that's why Trevor made the comment about the "20 questions".

With regard to comments. There are many ways to set up a task and it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, other than the obvious of completing the task in the desired time frame. Keep in mind that Project cannot "think" for you, so when you say you expect it to optimize or do certain things, it does not have the intelligence to make a decision. It operates on a set of rules based on its work equation:

Duration = Work/Units

Not knowing your end goal, breaking your task into parts may very well be the best approach. If it meets your needs and gives you the insight to successfully manage your project, then you have set it up correctly. Project's leveling feature is designed to help resolve resource overallocations. It can be a useful tool but it won't replace the necessary thought process of a project manger, there are just too many "soft" variables in project management. Further, it doesn't sound like you had an issue with resource overallocation, so leveling wouldn't help in this case.

It looks like you answered your own question but if any or all of our responses were helpful to you, we appreciate a vote.

John

• Marked as answer by greggsteve Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:14 PM