File move doesnt move all files RRS feed

• Question

• This has been bugging me for a number of months now, but today the issue has finally got to me and Ive snapped - keyboard got it big time :-)

I am trying to move a folder/files from one place to another on the same disk.  How simple is that??  EXCEPT VISTA CANT *&^$*&£% DO IT!!!

I have a folder, D:\Folder_1 which contains folders and files.

I have another folder D:\Folder_2 which contains folders and files as well.  If I grab hold of D:\Folder_2\Folder_3 (which contains folders and files) and drag/drop it into D:\Folder_1 only some files are moved (IE, appear in D:\Folder_1 and are removed from D:\Folder_2.

What is happening?  Bizarre question but why does Vista forget to move all files?  I can repro with cut/paste as well.

It is not permissions - 'Authenticated Users' have 'Full Control' on all files/folders on the D drive (and yes, I have checked, using 'Effective permissions' to make sure).

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi, you said..  I have another folder D:\Folder_2 which contains folders and files as well. If I grab hold of D:\Folder_2\Folder_3 (which contains folders and files) and drag/drop it into D:\Folder_1 only some files are moved (IE, appear in D:\Folder_1 and are removed from D:\Folder_2.

Okay consider this:  I have a folder where I want to PUT a folder I'm going to get from elsewhere..

Create a NEW folder in there. Name it whatever it is you want it called. Open that folder with Explorer on your desktop.

Go to the location of the other folder which you want to copy the contents from.. Opoen THAT folder too. Left click in this folder. Now hold down the CTRL-key and type A - all items should highlight. Right click on a item and hold down the right button. Now drag all the items to the folder you've created which is already open.

Let go the right button and it will ask you (Copy / Move/ Create Shortcut) left click on your choice. say MOVE and like magic -  Done!

Is that what you're trying to do?

Regards, pkn2011 

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Some things to note:

During the operation you may be prompted by the UAC for admin priveleges for file settings. Click OKay/Continue.

If Any of the files you are attempting to move are protected. eg system files, etc. A move will fail for these. COPY is probably the better option - and then go back and try deleting them from the source if required.

Your Permission settings generally can affect whether you'll be able to move files or not..

I nearly ALWAYS use the right button to move/copy - though on single file(s) left button is generally okay..

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Monday, August 8, 2011 5:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mat Walker Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:23 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience!

A couple of questions need your clarification.

Did you receive any error message during file moving?

What kind of file or folders, are they pictures or txt or Doc?

Can you repro this on C: drive?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Sorry delay in answering pkn2011, I reverted to using Robocopy instead.

Ok, using the mouse I drag the Folder I want to move to another place (IE. Another folder - same drive, although I get the same issues with moving to differernt drives) and release the mouse button while holding the keyboard shift - normal file/folder drag/drop move. (I can repro the issue by selecting the folder to be moved, selecting 'cut' from the context menu and then 'paste' in the folder I want it moved to.

No warnings, no dialogs, just the 'Moving....' dialog with the green progress bar which gets to 100% and closes - leaving some files/folders behind!! 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi Magon, see above.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:31 AM