TMP versions of files being sent to Site Collection Recycle Bin RRS feed

• Question

• One of our users has had two Excel files he saves two different MOSS libraries and uses on a daily basis disappear and be replaced with "new" copies, à la pod people.  The order of events seems to be approximately:

1. The user attempts to save the file.
    2. During the save, the old version of the file appears to be renamed as a TMP file and sent to the site Recycle Bin.
    3. Still during the save, a version 1.0 of the file he was saving shows up in the library.
    4. The user is informed the file is locked by another user (himself) and to try again later.

Clicking the recycle bin shows the TMP file, usually incredibly large due to the version history (he saves it on a daily basis and the system is supposed to keep versioning) and otherwise carrying the same metadata as the original file.  Restoring it and renaming it (after deleting the "new" 1.0 version file) puts everything back to the way it once was.

We noticed it in one of the files last week, and another one this week (which another user also updates).  It appears to have happened to the latter multiple times, to the point where we can only restore approximately one month's worth of older versions over the course of four temp files (which I presume cannot be easily merged).

We are using Excel 2010 SP2 (I think; 14.0.7153.500) and MOSS 2007.  Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens?  Has it happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance,

LPChu

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:15 PM

All replies

• Did you ever find a solution? One of users is experiencing the same issue using Word 2010 SP 2 (more or less the same version you referred), but on SharePoint 2013.

This means to me, that it's rather an Office issue than a SharePoint issue.

I would be glad, if you could answer.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Sadly I have not.  As of right now, retrieving the old version from the recycle bin is all we can do.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:48 PM
  • You maybe checked this already, but I found a few hints, which I wasn't able to check them all with the user yet.

The word/office version, the user has installed, is 14.0.7165.5000. Since we haven't seen this behaviour before and your version isn't that old, too, I'm wondering, whether it's an issue which arised with a recent office update.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:18 PM