none
Project ID Number - Intelligent Application of this feature RRS feed

• Question

• The Project ID number is a nice enhancement in Project Online. I can appreciate some applications of this feature in terms of differentiating projects within an organisation. I have done a Google search but cannot find anything other than very simple illustrations of the fact that this feature exists.

I am keen to learn of any ways in which this feature has been intelligently used within large organisations to differentiate, establish a hierarchy or crudely prioritise projects - the numbering by design establishing where a project sits relative to others. I appreciate that other fields can be used for priority and hierarchy but am wondering if anyone has leveraged this feature to establish a degree of order from the outset?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Dominic, a project ID is a unique identifier. Nothing more. We implement it in large organisations to ensure that the users and support team are talking about the same project. Some enterprises do have a calculated project ID in order to gain some insights about the project context, e.g. to include the first letters of the department, project type or owner and the date when it was created. With this approach you can gain some insights of the project by just reading/understanding the ID. Here‘s a blog article, how to set it up: https://project-brain.com/2017/02/12/how-to-generate-a-project-id-automatically/

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Julian,

Thanks for your answer - I had read your blog prior to posting my question, it relates to Project Server but I am guessing from your illustration that it could be applied to Project Online.

Having read a bit more about Project IDs and experimented a bit I think the interplay of prefix, number and postfix could be employed to provide "keys" to identify projects which when used in conjunction with other Project Level fields could neatly categorise an individual project by criteria of importance to the organisation.

I am trying to qualify projects in an environment where there are significant programmes each with numerous sub-projects which in turn have work-streams which in turn have sub-workstreams that can have individually managed initiatives within them all within a portfolio which in turn is one of several portfolios all being managed concurrently against clearly defined corporate strategic objectives. In an environment like this an individual plan is of importance to those involved in it and those managing it in conjunction with other plans but holistically it is a small cog in a big machine. We want to manage things together without making individual plan owners feel that their activities are insignificant by requiring them to define elements within their plan that are at the lower reaches of an organisational hierarchy.

It looks like elements of the Project ID can be edited after it is created which provides further latitude.

Once again thanks for your response.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hello Dominic, yes it also works with Project Online. If you use a simple workflow or JavaScript, you can set the project id field as read-only field.

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:24 PM