none
RemoteApp RDS2019 - splash screens stuck on client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am testing RDS 2019 with RemoteApp, and I have problems with startup splash screens. Each splash screen creates a button on the client’s taskbar and does not disappear from desktop and taskbar after the appearance of the main window. For example, I run three RemoteApp and I have three splash screens and three program windows on my desktop. And even if I close these windows, the splash screens will still remain on desktop and cannot be closed. This happens only in RemoteApp and does not occur with a remote desktop mode. I tried to recreate an RDS farm again, but it does not help.

This does not happen with all programs (having splash screen), but with many. At the same time, there were no such problems at RDS 2012R2/2016. 

As RDCB and RDSH used Windows Server 2019 with latest cumulative update (2019-01). As clients used Windows 10 1709/1809 with same update.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Each splash screen creates a button on the client’s taskbar and does not disappear from desktop and taskbar after the appearance of the main window.

Is there any screenshots of this issue? And have you checked if any relevant event logs?

I have found a previous post that the cause is related to the specified remote app and program.

Attached for your reference :https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/8e94d2f2-ed01-4ff6-8ad3-d0ab4f2c02b1/ts-web-remote-app-program-exiting-after-splash-screen?forum=winserverTS

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 8, 2019 5:53 AM
  • The post you proposed did not help. And it is about a completely different situation.

My situation looks like the screenshot. In normal situation (RDS2012R2/2016) when the main window has opened the splash screen should disappear from desktop and taskbar. But splash screen does stucks (RDS 2019). Of course I can set the main window on top and work in it, but all of this confusing. If I close the main window, the splash screen will still remain on the screen.

Nothing interesting in logs. They hasn't any relevant errors or warnings. The farm and collection have default settings. The farm has been recreated several times and I tried different combinations of collection options.

By the way this problem does not happen with Word/Exel/PowerPoint 2016. In these programs splash screen has correct behavior.

RemoteApp spalsh screen stuck

• Edited by Yuriy Kuzmin Friday, February 8, 2019 10:29 AM typo
    Friday, February 8, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Silence...

Does everyone normally have RemoteApp in RDS2019?

Monday, February 18, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

When the splash screens stuck, please manually restart the explore.exe: close it in task manager and recreate, which would resolve the stunk.

And you can use process monitor to capture logs and analyze what process have been stunk at the same time then dig further.

Last but not least, kindly check and install the latest patch to see if the issue persisted.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Manually restarting explorer.exe on client side not resolve issue. After running explorer.exe i have identical situation (both desktop and taskbar).

Process monitor cannot help, because the processes on the RDSH side do not stuck. For example, if I close main window of RemoteApp, the process on RDSH side will be correctly terminated, as expected. But on client side splash screen will remain both on desktop and taskbar while RDP connection is alive.

This situation looks like bug in interaction between client and server. As if server doesn't inform client that splash screen window should be closed. And this happens not only with splash screens, but also with some pop-up windows (with progress bar etc).

All available updates from Microsoft Update are installed on RDSH and on client.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

>>By the way this problem does not happen with Word/Exel/PowerPoint 2016. In these programs splash screen has correct behavior.

Do you mean that only third party app encounter this issue? Have you ever compared the workable remoteapp and problematic ones by checking parameters on notepad.

Thanks,

Jenny

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Yes, only some of third party enterprise applications encounter this issue on RDS2019. But these applications good working on RDS2012R2/2016 with identical parameters.

I want to draw your attention to the fact that the splash screens and pop-up windows do not disappear EVEN when the process is terminated on the RDSH side. I can run the application and terminate its process 10 times. As a result, there are 10 splash screens, but there are no processes on the RDSH side.

I am sure that RDSH should not display windows that actually no longer exist. And no matter what these applications are (from MS or third-party).

By the way, I noticed such an interesting moment. If I launch the RemoteApp, which requires elevated permissions and appear UAC confirmation, then all ghost windows disappear. Thus, every UAC appearance (in the same remote session) immediately remove the stuck windows.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

As a workaround, please Disable Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp group policy setting on your Windows Server 2019 RDSH server(s), disconnect any active RemoteApp sessions, then test to see if the issue still occurs.  Please note the client taskbar thumbnail previews and some other features will not function.

Below is the path to the group policy setting:

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Session Environment\

Please reply back with your results.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:12 PM
  • It did not help. But there is a difference. Now the stuck splashscreen turns into a black rectangle at the moment when it should have disappeared. The rest of the behavior remains the same as before.
    • Edited by Yuriy Kuzmin Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:58 PM typo
    Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:54 PM
  • We have the same issue at our one and only client that has migrated to Server 2019. Still looking for a solution.
    Monday, March 4, 2019 12:07 PM
  • Silence...
    Monday, March 25, 2019 1:18 PM
  • There was an update that went out the last week of March that fixed some RemoteApp-related issues. This doesn't quite look like one of them, but it might be worth installing just in case.

Do you by any chance know if the splash screen responds to WM_GETMINMAXINFO messages? We've been investigating an issue with how RemoteApp handles applications that don't.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:45 PM
  • Hi, we've got the same error on our new farm of RDS2019, but just with 1C, we get the splash screen. Did you resolve your problem?
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hello all,

Has anyone solved this? I just found out we are having the same problem as this. It only occurs on RDS 2019. If Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp is enabled, the splash screen stays visible and if it is disabled the splash screen turns into a black box as noted in above comments.

On of our customers brought this up yesterday and I confirmed it on each of the Server 2019 installations.

If anyone has any additional information, it would be appreciated. If I find something else, I will update here also.

Thank you,
    Stephen

Friday, July 19, 2019 11:14 AM
  • Hello TP,

There were several responses to your suggestion and yet there is no response from your side. How do we get Microsoft to look at this without paying $500 for a support ticket? I have several customers that this is happening too and no course of correction except to go back to 2016 (which has it own set of issues with Windows Updates that take forever to complete).

Thank you,
    Stephen

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:53 PM
  • There is still a problem...

RemoteApp on Windows Server 2019 build 17763.652

Client - Windows 10 1903 18362.267

Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Do you only see this with Windows 10? Have you had any experience with Windows 7 trying it? I have not tried Windows 7 to see what happens (need to get to a Windows 7 machine).

I cannot believe that this had not had any attention yet!

Saturday, August 3, 2019 11:28 AM
  • Today we experienced the same issue with our software on a customer's system.
    With Windows Server 2019 different kind of dialogs (not just splash screen, also regular dialogs) get stuck after they have been closed in the RemoteApp.
    But on the client's computer they are still visible, although they don't exist on the server anymore.

They are always above of the main window. If we minimize the main window they become minimized too, but they are restored too if we restore the main window.
    If we close the RemoteApp, the windows will close too.

What to do? Shall I tell the customer not to use Windows Server 2019?!
    The customer also has an older Windows Server with our application as RemoteApp. Everything is fine there.

Kind Regards
    David Gausmann

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:07 PM