locked
Internet Explorer not working after upgrade to Windows 7; other browsers able to connect to internet RRS feed

  • Question

  • I updated from Vista to Windows 7 (32 bit) a few months ago.  A few weeks after I did this, internet explorer stopped working on that computer.  When I open it up, it just tells me that it cannot display the webpage (my homepage or any other website that I enter into the address bar).  It gives me the option to "diagnose the problem" and when I click on that button, it tells me that windows cannot find a problem.  Initially I worried that it was my internet connection, but both Firefox and Chrome still work without problem.  Initially when this happened I was using IE 8.  I tried to upgrade to IE 9, and it still didn't work.  I switched back to IE 8 with no success, and now have IE 9 installed.

    I have tried resetting my IE settngs through the Internet Options tab.  It didn't work.  I also unchecked the "Enable third party browser extensions" option.  It didn't work.  I found the following advice in another forum:

    Step 1: Reload IE settings

    ====================

    1. Click the Start Button, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

    2. In the Security tab, click "Delete" under "Browsing History".

    3. Click "Delete all", check the option "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons.", and then click Yes.

    4. Click Close.

    5. Switch to the "Advanced" tab, click the "Restore advanced settings" button and then deselect "Enable third-party browser extensions".

    I think it was trying to accomplish the same thing that I had already tried.  In any case, this did not work either.  I have tried to find any updates that were installed around the time that it stopped working and remove them but this did not work.  I did a system restore to a point before I started having trouble with IE.  This did not work.  I have Norton loaded on my computer.  I have made sure that the firewall is set to allow IE to connect to the internet (and have even tried to disable Norton for a short time to see if that would enable it to connect)...and still IE will not connect to the internet or display webpages. I have tried all that I can think of.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:40 PM

Answers

  • When I open it up, it just tells me that it cannot display the webpage (my homepage or any other website that I enter into the address bar).  It gives me the option to "diagnose the problem" and when I click on that button, it tells me that windows cannot find a problem.


    After that IE on W7 does an automatic Refresh.   If that works it just means that your DNS is slower than IE likes.  You might be able to change the timing (incidentally) by using Fiddler2.

    Alternatively you could look look at the specific host name that you are having trouble with.  E.g. if it is an alias and its other name works use that.  Or if it is just going to do a redirect use that.  Etc.

     

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, April 29, 2011 9:31 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    It seemed the Internet Explorer components corrupted. I suggest running IE with no add-ons to check issue first.

     

    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (with no add-ons)

     

    To isolate third party affect, you can also boot in Safe Mode with networking and uninstall third party Internet Explorers.

     

    If the issue persist on those situations, go to reinstall IE to check the result.

     

    1. Click Start- > type Turn Windows features on or off in the search box-> Clear the option for Internet Explorer

    2. Reboot and then enable this feature.

     

    Best Regards,

    Niki


    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Niki,

    Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, they did not solve the problem.  Do you (or anybody else out there) have any other suggestions?

     

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:27 PM
  • When I open it up, it just tells me that it cannot display the webpage (my homepage or any other website that I enter into the address bar).  It gives me the option to "diagnose the problem" and when I click on that button, it tells me that windows cannot find a problem.


    After that IE on W7 does an automatic Refresh.   If that works it just means that your DNS is slower than IE likes.  You might be able to change the timing (incidentally) by using Fiddler2.

    Alternatively you could look look at the specific host name that you are having trouble with.  E.g. if it is an alias and its other name works use that.  Or if it is just going to do a redirect use that.  Etc.

     

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, April 29, 2011 9:31 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:19 PM
    Answerer