Missing Core Funcations in App Controller RRS feed

• General discussion

• i was reviewing System Center App Controller and i found there's missing feature should shipped on App Controller or any other Product.

- Cloud Provisioning , It's Exist in SSP v2, which should be integrated with App Controller.

- App controllers Manages VMM Server not Clouds.

what if I've one cloud on Multiple VMM Servers?

- Billing

i wish if there's anyone could tell me about the above features will be considered with App controller or it's already exist by another Product

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Ahmed,

App Controller provides Service deployment concept that is available in VMM 2012. beside that it do manage VMM 2012 and Azure Cloud subscription (in the current beta release).

According the Cloud on multiple VMM..can you please provide more info about what you mean by this scenario ?

for the billing manay MS partners are providing solutions for billing like VKernel

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for the information about billing, but now still 2 points missing

Cloud Provisioning , in SCVMM Self-Service Portal V2 (Customer / User) can request business Unit (Cloud), in the case that SSP V2 isn't working with VMM2012 i missed this important feature

about more info about Cloud on multiple VMM scenario, There's limitation that VMM 2012 can't manage more than 200 or 250 Host is a remember.

in case I've huge Cloud manager more that above mentioned number I've to install multiple VMM Servers in separate environment.

App Controller Reads Cloud Information from VMM 2012 Server Per VMM 2012.

so i can't manager a cloud deployed on multiple VMM 2012 or has more 250 hosts

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:23 PM
  • There are scenarios that SSP 2.0 enables such as the onboarding of a BU, self-service of VMs, etc. These scenarios will be enabled in System Center 2012 by a combination of Service Manager 2012 and System center App Controller.

for the multiple VMM scenarios, App Controller is able to manage multiple VMM servers. but as I understand you are talking about cloud that is managed by multiple VMM Sevres..Please correct me if I am wrong. That means I can not see it as a full cloud service but a hige number of VMs.. I did not try that but will try to communicate that to MS product team

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:30 PM
  • thanks for the valuable information

but seriously Microsoft is kidding, to provide self service to our (Customer/User) I've to deploy another product...?!!!

however it's there with Service Manager.

about VMM Scenario what you understand it right, and I'll clarify more , what if I've one cloud which requires 1000 Hyper-V Servers.

how I'll manage them with VMM2012?

Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Self Service is a very broad topic, targetting many different people.  There is quite a difference between operational self service management of Virtual Machines, and application self service for example.

There are also different meanings and capabilities within self service.  You have everything from the request for something, through the delivery of what was requested and all the associated approvals, and then the ongoing management of the requested item and being able to work it within a delegated, self service model.

So, yes, we have different solutions targetting the different scenarios.  This makes sense when you look at the breadth of what we are talking about. 

Regarding your request to manage a cloud that spans many hyper-v hosts, this is fine.  We can manage, delegate access to and quotas at many levels, from the cloud, the service, the role and and the specific user levels.

If you have a cloud that pools resources from a large number of hosts, you would likely be managing this at the cloud level and then dependent on what you are running within the cloud, delegated access to resources.  If you are running services, you can delegate access per service, if it's just a large number of individual virtual machines you are managing, then we have tested App Controller against several thousand VMs within a cloud.

We will have further performance guidance in the future as we get closer to, and past GA.

Adam

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Reviewing this thread, a couple of other clarifications.

"App controllers Manages VMM Server not Clouds" - not quite true.  App Controller connects to VMM instances, but is actually more focussed on managing the Services that are running within the clouds that are hosted by VMM and also Windows Azure.  It can also manage straight Virtual Machines.

"about VMM Scenario what you understand it right, and I'll clarify more , what if I'veone cloud which requires 1000 Hyper-V Servers. how I'll manage them with VMM2012?" - when you create a cloud in VMM, you assign resources to it.  So the idea is that you group the servers into resource pools, and then assign those resource pools to the cloud. You would also, on the Fabric management page, also pool the physical resources of networks, storage, load balancers etc together and assign to the cloud also.

If you are working with VMM 2012, look at the Fabric page for this.  Also, there is a lot of information and guidance in the VMM 2012 Community Evaluation Program (CEP) and the Private Cloud CEP that our team are running.  You can join these CEPs at http://msft.it/cep

A further point to the self service story, I mean to add in that there is also a split between the creation of resources to be offered and how they get approved and delivered, and the consumption of these resources.  This is a very big topic, and one that we will continue to explain :)

Adam

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:18 AM