none
SBS 2011 Roaming Profiles - I need to start from ground zero

Question

•    I feel like such and idiot! After all these years I am going to have to revert back to the basics. I am trying to set up roaming profiles on this SBS 2011 Server. My profiles directory is C:\Profiles

1) When you see a picture of a lock on the folder what does that signify?

2) What permissions do I give the share

3) What permissions do I give the directory?

Is there a link anywhere on best practices and how to set up roaming profiles on a SBS 2011 Server?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Answers

•   Well... I searched long enough and hard enough that I found the answer on a Experts Exchange thread. Someone spent weeks (about like I have) and found that the culprit was actually the Nvida video card driver. I started uninstalling drivers from this notebook one at a time and lo and behold when I uninstalled the infrared drivers the roaming profile started to work as advertised.
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy32 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:16 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Ziggy!

Oftent it's popular to setup redirected folders today, you can do this from the sbs console under users on the right side menu.

If you like to have roaming profiles you have to setup from active directory users and computers. Answers

1. This folder is created when the user logon and it's only the user that logon that has rights to this folder(the lock) and subfolders. Ofcourse you can take ownership of it if you really need to see the data.

2,3. Read, write and modify permission.

Are you sure you going to put it in the root of c? maybe share it as a profiles$ so the users can't browse it just by clicking the server.

If this was helpful please give a "vote" and or mark as "answer"

Best regards Jimmy Svensson MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Thanks vind-surfer. I am haveing some very, very strange behavior going on with these roaming profiles and I am just start the debug. Long process as this is very odd behavior. I greatly appreciate the feedback but really didn't get my questions answered:

1) When you see a picture of a lock on the folder what does that signify?

I started out by creating the C:\Profiles folder on the server:

2) What permissions do I give the share? (right now I am just talking about the c:\profiles share)

3) What permissions do I give the directory? (right now I am just talking about the c:\profiles directory)

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:10 PM
  • 1. The lock means that this folder is locked to the user who created it(it is created during first logon when you change to roaming profile).

2,3. Read write modify also for the ntfs rights.

One more thing is if you have mixed clients(win 7,vista,xp) and users logon to diffrent computers.

Maybe a description of the odd behavior would make it more easy to help you.

Regards

Best regards Jimmy Svensson MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:21 PM
  •    Here is an idea of what I am fighting... I added a new user from ground zero. The only group it put that user in was Domain Users. On SBS 2003 and 2008 I gave Everyone Full on the share. I guess by default on SBS 2011 Everyone doesn't mean the same thing. I had to actually give "Domain Users" rights to the share. Now comes the strange part...

Giving Read, Write and Modify NTFS rights still wouldn't work. I watched what it did. It created the users folder and copied the ntuser.ini in to it but than failed on the workstation with a "The user profile service failed to log on. User profile cannot be loaded" error. I then gave DOmain Users all NTFS rights to the directory. Same problem. I looked at the NTFS rights on the user's folder it creates and SYSTEM, Administrators and that users had full access. I mean everything. That seemed correct but no joy. Still couldn't log in on the workstation.

I coudn't successfully log in to the workstation until I made that user a member of Domain Administrators and even then it would not copy the local profile to the server no matter how many times I logged on or off. No errors at that point just not server copy of the profile.

Then it gets wiered and I haven't play enough with it to really pinpoint the senario but I decided to copy my local desktop folder to the users profile folder on the server just to see if it would drop it down when I logged in as that user. No joy until I logged in as that user on my computer. Then when I went back to the notebook I have been playing with the server copy of the profile started working. Unbelievable!

Odd, odd, odd and I need to get away from it for a while :)  

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:42 PM
  • I have read the last sentence you wrote a couple of time. By saying started working, does this mean that it worked.

One thing with SBS is that you should use sbs console to add users then just modify the roaming profile settings inside AD users and computers. I guess you didn't join the computers with connect either. If you have a look in your OU you can find SBS containers. Under you both have sbs users and sbs computers. I suggest you move the users here to get a better sbs environment.

What kind of client environment you have XP, Vista or 7?

Regards

Jimmy Svensson. Konsult Göteborg Sverige. MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:19 AM
  •    It is a wierd one! You are correct in that I don't use the SBS Console to add users and I need to start. I have been doing it from ADUC s long it has become habbit. This morning I added a user via the console. TestUser. Same senario, It created the top level folder \\server\profiles\TestUser but absolutely nothing underneath it. No errors on the workstation or signs of problems. TestUser logged in and is fat and happy. The SBS containers are there. I do use them.

The one thing I have not tried is joining computers to the domain via the SBS connect. I can't find out much about it. I have seen some blerbs about SBS 2011 Essentials. Can you give me a quick rundown on how to use Connect on SBS 2011 Standard?

This is a simple network. I have one XP Pro deskop and two Win 7 Pro 32-bit notebooks. They all seem to roam OK.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Well... I cleared my head and took one more shout at it with the TestUser I created in the console...

When I log in to the computer I use (Win 7 Pro 32-bit) everything works fine....

When I log in to this other notebook I have been working in (Win 7 Pro 64-bit) the sync is in one direction. This notebook will not put anything on the server (creates the main profile folder but puts nothing in it) but it will take files from the server and put them in the local profile. It only goes one way. Simple huh?

I am logging in to both computers as the same user. One syncs both directions, the other just one way. Any guesses? Am I fighting a 64-bit problem?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:17 PM
  •   Well... I searched long enough and hard enough that I found the answer on a Experts Exchange thread. Someone spent weeks (about like I have) and found that the culprit was actually the Nvida video card driver. I started uninstalling drivers from this notebook one at a time and lo and behold when I uninstalled the infrared drivers the roaming profile started to work as advertised.
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy32 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:16 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:15 PM