none
Move Scope from 2003 DHCP to existing 2012 R2 DHCP server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

DHCP Environment : 2003 Std Ed. Server , 2003 R2 Ent Ed. , 2012 R2

We need to consolidate DHCP from 2003 to 2012 server. 2012 server is already a DHCP with scopes configured & running. I read some articles which states that you can take a back from 2003 server and restore it on 2012 server. My query is that do I need to take any risk in consideration before them. Will my clients , IP phones etc will automatically start looking to 2012 DHCP instead of 2003 now. How will it work. One of the 2k3 server is in Child Domain which we plan to decommission. Please advise. Thank you

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• AFAIK, the only way to backup a Windows 2003 DHCP is by using netsh.  If you 2 DHCP servers manage different scopes, you could do this:

1. Export your DHCP db from your 2003 Server (netsh dhcp server export C:\Temp\Export_2003_Dhcp_db)

2. Copy the C:\Temp\Export_2003_Dhcp_db on your 2012 Server

3. Backup the current DHCP configuration from your 2012 Server (Export-DhcpServer -ComputerName dhcpsrv01.contoso.com -File C:\Temp\Export_2012_Dhcp.xml -leases)

4. Delete all scopes from your Windows 2012 DHCP

5. Import your Windows 2003 Dhcp db using netsh (netsh dhcp server import c:\temp\Export_2003_Dhcp_db)

6. Import only the previous DHCP scopes that were on your 2012 DHCP server (Import-DhcpServer -ComputerName dhcpsrv01.contoso.com -File C:\Temp\Export_2012_Dhcp.xml -BackupPath C:\dhcpbackup\ -ScopeId 10.10.10.0,20.20.20.0 -Leases) where scopesID is the scopes that were present on your 2012 DHCP Server.

Personnaly, i would do that.  The reason why, is because i don't know what is the effect of restoring a Windows 2003 DHCP configuration over an existing one in Windows 2012.  I dod a lot of exportation of a 2003 DHCP on a clean 2012 and 2012 R2 DHCP server and it working well.

But i first, backup your Windows 2003 & 2012 DHCP ;)

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

• Proposed as answer by John R Smith Wednesday, May 3, 2017 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Thanks John , I'll ensure to backup 2012 DHCP before I add other 2 x 2003 DHCP scopes to 2012 server. Do I need to update any other thing in my domain for this change to be successful. Like IPHelper in router etc.

Harjeet Makkar

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:37 PM

• Hi Curious to know,

>>Do I need to update any other thing in my domain for this change to be successful

Before starting the migration process make sure source and destination servers’ runs with latest updates and service packs.

As far as i know, you do not need to update any other thing in your domain.

For you reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2014/11/25/step-by-step-migrating-dhcp-from-windows-server-2003-to-2012-r2/

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 5, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi Candy,

You have shared a very nice article but have few doubts please advise :-

1. My source server is on IP 172.x.x.x (Child domain - soon will be decommissioned) and destination server is on 10.x.x.x (parent domain) with DHCP already configured and different IP scopes running. Should I configure one more NIC on destination server with IP of 172 range.

2. Article shows powershell method to backup and restore but instead can I simply use GUI to backup & restore scopes or netsh command to backup/restore. Will it make any difference. Please advise.

3. My destination server (2008) is already a DHCP and have scopes running. If I restore database from 2003 server I hope my existing scopes in 2008 will still be healthy plus i'll also get migrated scopes. Please advise

Thank you.

Regards,

Curious

Friday, May 5, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Make sure you have changed your IP Helper-Address in your switch to redirect DHCP Request to the new DHCP server.

Technet microsoft solutions.

• Proposed as answer by premraj subbu Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:17 AM
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Hi Curious to know,

>>Should I configure one more NIC on destination server with IP of 172 range.

Yes.

>>can I simply use GUI to backup & restore scopes or netsh command to backup/restore

You could use netsh command to backup.

For your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/962355/how-to-move-a-dhcp-database-from-a-computer-that-is-running-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008

>>If I restore database from 2003 server I hope my existing scopes in 2008 will still be healthy plus i'll also get migrated scopes. 

Generally, it can be achieved if there is no duplicate scope.

Best Regards

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:16 AM
  • Thanks Premraj

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Thanks Candy. I'll use netsh command instead and thank you for the link its really helpful.

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Any idea why telnet doesn't work on DHCP port and portqueryUI also shows not listening on port 67 . I was just checking connectivity between sites so other sites machine can grab IP from new DHCP after migration and realized that Im unable to do telnet or portqry on any DHCP server for port 67 / 68.

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:52 PM
  • Hi Curious to know,

>>telnet doesn't work on DHCP port and portqueryUI also shows not listening on port 67 

Is it still the problem if you restart DHCP service?

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Yes that right. I read somewhere DHCP doesn't allow telnet on port 67 so this port can be free to help client machines requesting IP address.

Also regarding NIC card with IP of 172 on new DHCP server . Just to let you know its already hosting different subnet IP range and they are able to lease the IP. For example. server is on IP range 10.10.x.x. and its hosting IP scope of 10.10.x.x & 10.15.x.x and both fetch IP from this DHCP. This DHCP server doesn't have NIC configured for 10.15.x.x though. Sorry I'm just curious to know if its working right now then why it should not working with 172 IP range without configuring a new NIC of 172 IP. Thanks for your help Candy I really appreciate it
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Hi Curious to know,

Thank you for posting.

We suggest that you could restart a new thread in forum for this question.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi Curious to know,

If the information provided was helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:40 AM