none
Group Policy Shortcut for Network Locations/Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Group Policy to push out shortcuts to network locations and am wondering how susceptible they are to viruses.  Can someone give me an idea on how secure this is?  I don't want to use drive letters for network shares anymore due to virus propagation through drive letters.  I look forward to all of your responses.  Thank  you.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, CompTIA Sec+, Net+, A+

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:06 AM

All replies

• In my opnion, security in this case is related not in how the network shares are implemented but on how it will be accessed.

Focus on your client computers security and user education and your servers will be safe.

File screening with windows server to block the storage of some application types are a good idea though.

Best Regards,

Sergio Figueiredo.

Friday, December 6, 2013 5:39 PM
  • You need to setup group policy for the servers and clients ensuring only authorized users can access the share.  By default all users/administrators can access the share using the UNC path [ \\servername\c$] until it is not specified. If the Share and NTFS permission on the share location is set only for authorized users half of the trouble can be resolved. 

Virus will be intelligent enough to access the share through network [ UNC path] if Share Drive is not found. 

Ensure all the client machines in the Domains has a baseline security policy ensuring following 

Disable the Guest Account

Set Account Lockout Policy

Remove All Unnecessary File Shares

Set Appropriate ACLs on All Necessary File Shares

Install Antivirus Software and Updates

How can access computer from network etc.

Ensure, the policies settings should be compatible with the client operation systems you have in the network.

Regards,

Ram Balachandran

Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:45 AM