none
Need to connect Windows 10pro to Essential 2012r2

Question

• I recently bought 2 computers with windows 10 pro. The Server has Windows Essential 2012 r2.  I went to google Chrome and typed my server name (example. myservername / connect  the web directly me to a connection software page. The text on the Download button said Windows 7, 8 or mac. I have windows 10 but I did download the software anyway. The process was asking me few questions, after asking me the USER and PASSWORD for the server it started to download, then I got a message telling me that the software can’t be installed, please close the application process.

Well after trying it several times with the same result I decided to do the process manually. I went to network section and write all the information to configure the TCP-IP ipv4  static.

Then I went to Computer Name, change button to write the Domain name manually, the I got an error telling me that can’t found the server, but if a ping the server address it can reply me and if I go to the server and ping the computer I got a reply from to.

Any advice with this issue???

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to connect Windows 10 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. 

Suppose that you had installed/configured DNS server role on your Essentials Server, then, on Windows 10, please open TCP/IPv4 Properties, configure below options:
    1. Obtain an IP address automatically.
    2. Use the following DNS server addresses, and configured Essentials server’s IP address as Preferred DNS server address.
    3. Save the change.

Then, on client, open Internet Explorer, and try to access “http://<your server IP address>/connect” and download the Connector for Windows system. Following the wizard to complete the installaion.

If problem persists, please provide below log file:
    On client, open RUN, type “%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\” and end with enter. Find ClientDeploy.log and Computerconnector.log files and upload these log files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:02 AM
  • What information did you enter on the client?

Can you post an ipconfig /all from client and server?

You might want to run the Essentials Troubleshooter - https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Windows-Server-Essentials-556159c3?redir=0 and report any issues.

Robert Pearman Cloud & Datacentre MVP
    @titlerequired | LinkedIn | Google+
    Facebook | Windows Server Essentials.com

Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 15, 2018 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:58 AM