Column A choice will auto populate another column with data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I am a SP newbie and looking for assistance on lists.  I currently have a list with about 10 columns, currently one of those columns is Product.  When adding orders to the list, the users choose from a drop down as to which product their ordering.  What I need to do next is have a column that says based on the product choice, the time it takes to place that order is 1 hr, etc.  I think I need to create another list somewhere that says the time for each product but I'm not sure how to link the 2.  Examples: Order A takes 1 hr and Order B takes 2 hrs.  So that when the user chooses Order A in the product column, the time column (that I don't have created yet) auto populates with 1 and the same when they choose Order B, time would auto populate with 2.  Appreciate your assistance.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that you want to auto populate data from another list. Here are two options:

1. You can store the Order and Hour in a list1. Then in other lists, you can add a lookup column to get value from Order column in list1 and add the Hour column as the additional field to show up in the view. In this way, the Hour column will auto populate after user save the item.
    2. If InfoPath designer is available in your environment, you can using InfoPath designer rule to set the field value when value change on Order.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:00 AM