RSAT tools Severe limitation in a Cluster Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Enterprise with various Clusters...mostly win2012....some win2008R2

We have standardized our desktops to Win7 for now across the enterprise including IT administrative folks. Installed, consistent, working, and in scope....Our Enterprise is a good Microsoft citizen.

We want to use RSAT tools, specifically the Failover Cluster Manager to monitor and manage our Clusters. We can RDP into the servers and use it there...but its so much easier to do it from our own workstations using the RSAT Failover Cluster Manager (an mmc msc snap-in).

OK so far....

EXCEPT! the RSAT tools for Win7 only manages win2008,2008R2 Clusters. You can't manage win2012 Clusters.

WHY is this! Can't Microsoft provide a Failover Cluster Manager Snap-in (for Win7) that manages Win Server 2012 Clusters!!??

Oh, you say use the Win8 RSAT.....but our Enterprise only uses Win7 for desktops....as good citizens can.

Management of supported MS SERVER operating systems should not be dependent on MS desktop operation systems (if they are supported too).

This isn't a 64-bit vs 32-bit issue....this is MS inability to make a critical Server support tool (Failover Cluster Manager for Server 2012) work on their supported desktop operation system (Win7). 

Please say I'm wrong....please provide a link to a download that will give me a version of Cluadmin.msc for Win7 that will manage a Server 2012 Cluster.....is that a vain hope?

• Edited by JHeim99 Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:31 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I’m sorry for not meeting your requirement. However, it’s by design that RSAT for Windows7 enables IT administrators to manage roles and features that are installed on computers that are running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2003.

If you want to report a feedback to Microsoft. I would like to share the link below with you.

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, November 25, 2013 7:29 AM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:37 PM