Keyboard issues at login screen RRS feed

• Question

• i have been scouring the interent for two days trying to resolve this issue. i have an HP d220 mt micro tower running xp pro sp3. this is a fresh install with a full ntfs format done at the time of the load. i used the same media cd that i've used on countless other machines in my company. when i join the computer to the domain it doesn't recognize most key strokes. i can hit CTRL+U to bring up the onscreen keyboard to login. once i get logged in everything is fine and the keyboard works ok for the most part. here's a list of all the things i've tried that didn't work.

switched out keyboards....multiple usb and ps2 keyboards non functional

ran all sp3 updates

updated the bios on the computer with the newest version on the HP website.

uninstalled and reinstalled without updates

uninstalled keyboard from device manager and restarted

reloaded driver in device manager

edited the registry to find all KbdClass entries and checked all the upper filters

edited the registry to make sure windows keys were turned on

the last step i'm going to try is setting it on fire!!! this is extremely frustrating and i would appreciate any help i can get.

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:42 PM

All replies

• If you have an identical unit, try swapping out the motherboard. Maybe some wired implementation. If that solves the problem is the MOBO, if not then is the OS, or some crooked driver. also try a linux live cd, see if the keyboard has any problems....

try safe mode, msconfig, and windows 7 or Vista as a test.

Good Luck, it is frustrating, i know but thats all you can expect from HP.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:48 PM