WSP deployment question RRS feed

• Question

• I've been deploying solutions and features for years and have never had to worry about downtime for users.

I'm now in a 24/7 shop and I need to think about these things.

My next deployment needs to go into the production farm but can be targetted at a single web application.
    If I deploy the solution to only that web app is there any chance that other web apps like Project Server for example will be affected?

What happens in the background when a Farm Solution is deployed?

Thanks in advance.

N03L.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi NIN03L,

As this queue is for SharePoint Legacy versions (SharePoint 2007 or before), if you use SharePoint 2007, solution deployed are not distinguished by farm or sandboxed, if you use SharePoint 2010, you can deploy a solution with farm scope or sandbox solution.

A farm solution is hosted in the IIS worker process (W3WP.exe), and if you run code in a farm solution, the whole farm will be affected. Since the solution is scoped as farm level, it has full trust access to all the resources, you can get more information from the following article:
    Installation and Deployment of a Farm Solution in SharePoint 2010:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa544500(v=office.14).aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi NIN03L,

As this queue is for SharePoint Legacy versions (SharePoint 2007 or before), if you use SharePoint 2007, solution deployed are not distinguished by farm or sandboxed, if you use SharePoint 2010, you can deploy a solution with farm scope or sandbox solution.

A farm solution is hosted in the IIS worker process (W3WP.exe), and if you run code in a farm solution, the whole farm will be affected. Since the solution is scoped as farm level, it has full trust access to all the resources, you can get more information from the following article:
    Installation and Deployment of a Farm Solution in SharePoint 2010:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa544500(v=office.14).aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Hi NIN03L,

May be, the below link will be used to deploy your solution package. If you want it please download it.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/AddInstallUpdate-solution-97928954

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hi NIN03l,

If you solved your issue by following any of our replies, please mark it as answer. If you find some other solution and fixed it, please post that solution here and mark it as answer. So that others will rectify the same issue in short span of time. Please help others by marking as answer. 

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:26 PM