Document Library Folder Web Part? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to implement a web part that shows a given folder within a document library. Is there anyway that I can set a certain folder to be the starting point in a webpart? I am trying to also do this without displaying anything except the document library/folder . . . what I have now is a link to the entire page with the border, etc. 

When I use a Page Viewer web part and select folder and click apply, the following message comes up (why can't I just link to a folder in a document library?):

"The path to the folder is not valid for the Link property. Check the spelling and syntax, and then type a valid path."

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Rock,

Thank you. Any word on how to go about doing this?

Many Thanks!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:27 PM
    • Edited by Prasath C Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Prasath,

Yes, the path is valid. When I change the view to Explorer View it opens. I just don't understand why this can't work the way that I need it to. Is there an alternate address that I should be using?This is indeed strange. 

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Essentially what I am trying to do can be done in a way (though it isn't perfect -- more on that later) by doing the following:

1. Go to a document library.

a. View the page source.

b. Copy from the following all the way down to the closing </table>:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT">

On Error Resume Next

Set EditDocumentButton = CreateObject("SharePoint.OpenDocuments.3")

If (IsObject(EditDocumentButton)) Then

fNewDoc3 = true

Else

Set EditDocumentButton = CreateObject("SharePoint.OpenDocuments.2")

If (IsObject(EditDocumentButton)) Then

fNewDoc2 = true

Else

Set EditDocumentButton = CreateObject("SharePoint.OpenDocuments.1")

End If

End If    

fNewDoc = IsObject(EditDocumentButton)

</SCRIPT>

<tr><td><TABLE

2. Next go to the page where you wish to add the document library sub folder view.

a. Add a Content Editor Web Part

b. Click the "Source Editor . . ." button

c. Copy+Paste the code that you copied from the step above into the Source Editor.

d. Click the "Apply" and "OK" buttons.

e. Exit editing the page.

The downside to doing this is as follows . . . one, it screws up the way that the page looks (i.e. it moves everything over to the right) and secondly, the code that you copied contains the links that were in the sub folder . . . thereby hardcoding them into the web part . . . what will happen if you add another folder later? It won't be visible until you manually edit the web part. Thirdly, when a user clicks on a folder in the web part, instead of opening inside the web part it directs the user to the actual document library page (thereby eliminating the reason for the web part in the first place - to keep the user on their respective site and maintain navigation breadcrumbs). Lastly, the code that you get from the source of the page, will have your user name hard coded into it (check your code for sip:your user name    ). I'm not sure how this would effect security trimming.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about making this more feasible? Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Prasath,

The second link that you provided above helped (http://www.sharepointchick.com/archive/2007/11/29/displaying-a-file-or-a-folder-in-the-page-viewer.aspx) . . . but that places me about 75% of the way completed. Ideally I would like a way for my users to be able to either see a breadcrumb trail and/or be able to click a "level up" button to go to the previous folder. Secondly, is there a way to make it so that the blue explorer view panel isn't displayed?

Many Thanks!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:06 PM
  • That is the default behavior of the Web Part and I don't believe we can change that.

You can also try "Document Library Tree View Web Part for SharePoint Server 2007"  of code project 

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/sharepoint/librarytreewebpart.aspx

--Cheers
    • Edited by Prasath C Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Prasath,

That is unfortunate. There must be a way to correct this . . .

As for the link that you provided, that doesn't appear to work for subfolders in a document library. I've tried providing the link to the sub folder and I receive an error message stating the following: "Error: There is no such document library with this name: /shared documents/testsubfolder"

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi SharePointPonderer, 

Based off the question being asked, it appears to be more development related.  Typically we would suggest you start off with the SharePoint SDK and create a web part.  However, it does appear you have already started this.  If this issue is causing a blockage in your deployment, you could open a ticket and discuss it with a SharePoint Dev engineer. 

The options for opening a ticket is listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Savoeurn,

Thank you for responding. I just don't understand why this needs to be escalated (and paid for) when it seems like this should be something that is built into the product out-of-the-box. Surely there must be a solution available?

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:38 PM
  • If anyone can provide some additional information besides just having to contact Microsoft for a fix, it would be appreciated a great deal. Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Anybody?
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Rock,

Is there any new information on this that you can provide? I need your assistance, please.

Many Thanks.

Friday, January 6, 2012 2:42 PM