Are updates ever dependent on other updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are updates ever depend on each other? That is, if I don't install updates for 6 months and then I decide to update my machine, are there any updates which will require earlier updates to be installed before they themselves can be installed?

Thanks
    Michelle

Monday, December 4, 2017 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Are updates ever depend on each other?

No .

If you are using WSUS , you may find a column "supersedence" in update view .

Then ,  you may find lot of updates were superseded by other updates in WSUS console .

For example , monthly Cumulative update for windows 10 , if you missed 6 months updates you can only install updates released at 7th cumulative updates .

(Monthly rollup also applies to windows 7)

For details please check :

"
    From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update. The Monthly Rollup will be published to Windows Update (WU), WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Each month's rollup will supersede the previous month's rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on. 
    "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michelle99 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Are updates ever depend on each other?

No .

If you are using WSUS , you may find a column "supersedence" in update view .

Then ,  you may find lot of updates were superseded by other updates in WSUS console .

For example , monthly Cumulative update for windows 10 , if you missed 6 months updates you can only install updates released at 7th cumulative updates .

(Monthly rollup also applies to windows 7)

For details please check :

"
    From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update. The Monthly Rollup will be published to Windows Update (WU), WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Each month's rollup will supersede the previous month's rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on. 
    "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michelle99 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Hi Elton, thanks very much for your reply. Sorry for my delayed response - I have been caught up in my "normal" job. I went to the link you suggested.

What I am REALLY excited about is to see the Security Only updates as described below. What I need now is to know what Classifications in WSUS will ensure the "Security Only Quality Updates" are downloaded by WSUS.

I have posted this question in a separate thread: Security Only Quality Updates - Windows 8.1, Windows 10(?)

Security-only updates.

Also from October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Security-only update. This update collects all of the security patches for that month into a single update. Unlike the Monthly Rollup, the Security-only update will only include new security patches that are released for that month. Individual patches will no longer be available.
    The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Windows Update will publish only the Monthly Rollup – the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update. The security-only update will allow enterprises to download as small of an update as possible while still maintaining more secure devices.

Thanks again
    Michelle

• Edited by Michelle99 Monday, December 11, 2017 10:39 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

>>What I am REALLY excited about is to see the Security Only updates as described below. What I need now is to know what Classifications in WSUS will ensure the "Security Only Quality Updates" are downloaded by WSUS.

You may get it in classification "security updates" in WSUS.

Best Regards,

Elton

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Thanks Elton :)
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Have a nice day .

Best Regards,

Elton

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:23 AM