Type 1 Adobe font RRS feed

• Question

• A Type 1 font that I use, New Century Schoolbook, does not appear correct on screen in the Word 2016. It prints correctly, however. Is there a way to use Type 1 fonts with the latest version of Word?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Monday, February 8, 2016 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

If you have some postscript fonts, New Century Schoolbook in this context, please install them on your computer.

I've tested successfully:
      1) downloaded Adobe Type Manager lite(32-bit version), and installed it into Windows 7(32-bit)
      2) downloaded free opentype font(DYLAN) and extracted DYLAN.ZIP to DYLSN.pfm
      3) executed ATM and added DYLAN.pfm to specific folder
      4) install DYLAN.pfm

(1st and 3rd step might have not been needed. I know very little about postscript font.) 

Regards.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

You can download "New Century Schoolbook" font from TTFonts.

Regards.
    -------------------
    Please remember to mark this reply as answers, if it would help.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

This forum is used to discuss about Word developing, your issue is more related with Word product, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=word

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for the info Ashidacchi. Adobe sells an OpenType version of New Century Schoolbook that I have as well.

Really, though, my concern is Type 1, or postscript, fonts. My company has decades of Word documents that use this font, and I am not sure how to go about editing these archived docs once we fully upgrade.

Of course I can write a simple script that replaces every instance of the font in the document. However, pagination matters in these documents, and I am afraid that any replacement font will cause the paging to change as well.

Any ideas of how to make Type 1 fonts functional in the latest versions of Word would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:41 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

If you have some postscript fonts, New Century Schoolbook in this context, please install them on your computer.

I've tested successfully:
      1) downloaded Adobe Type Manager lite(32-bit version), and installed it into Windows 7(32-bit)
      2) downloaded free opentype font(DYLAN) and extracted DYLAN.ZIP to DYLSN.pfm
      3) executed ATM and added DYLAN.pfm to specific folder
      4) install DYLAN.pfm

(1st and 3rd step might have not been needed. I know very little about postscript font.) 

Regards.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Cross-posted (and answered) at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/29898-type-1-font.html
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

As advised, Adobe Type 1 font support has been deprecated. If the Open Type Century Schoolbook font (or another font) that comes with Windows/Office isn't suitable, you'll need to install a True Type or Open Type version of New Century Schoolbook.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:16 AM