none
Stop Folder redirection on new computer

Question

• Greetings!

We are about to change our desktops to Thin Clients and I've created folder redirection to make it easier for us to transfer all the data from the old computer to the new one. 

I've setup everything correctly but I have one concern, I want to transfer all the data from the fileserver to the local computer once we stop the policy.

There is a option called "Redirect the folder back to the local user profile location when policy is removed" I am afraid that it will  Redirect the data to the old computer (not the new one)

Is there a way do move all the data to the new local computer once we remove the policy?

//W

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 11:06 AM

All replies

• > There is a option called "Redirect the folder back to the local user profile location when policy is removed" I am afraid that it will  Redirect the data to the old computer (not the new one)

No, it will redirect to the local profile on the current computer the user has logged on to.

If your users happen to use different computers, they might end up with their redirected data on the first computer they log on to after the change, and not on their "primary" computer :-)

> Is there a way do move all the data to the new local computer once we remove the policy?

Do the data copy NOT by enabling this option, but by means of a logon script.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:34 PM
  • > There is a option called "Redirect the folder back to the local user profile location when policy is removed" I am afraid that it will  Redirect the data to the old computer (not the new one)

No, it will redirect to the local profile on the current computer the user has logged on to.

If your users happen to use different computers, they might end up with their redirected data on the first computer they log on to after the change, and not on their "primary" computer :-)

> Is there a way do move all the data to the new local computer once we remove the policy?

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:34 PM

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Hi actually this option will redirect to the previous location no matter what the pc was. You can always test it out by having a new policy in a staged environment.
    Tuesday, February 07, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Okay Thank you!

So once the move is done I can just disable the policy and all the data will be located on his/her desktop and not the fileserver?

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Theoretically speaking, it should be, but as Panagiotis suggested, please always test it firstly before deploying it in the production environment.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 09, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:40 AM