none
PIN: "Remove" button and "I forgot my PIN" link missing RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to sign in with my PIN the other day, but my PIN was refused, so I signed in differently instead. I went to the "Sign-in options" and I had an error message in red next to the PIN, stating something like that I had to re-sign-in with my account to enable it again. I did not bother writing it down or taking a screenshot of the error message, as I assumed all would be solved shortly. I was wrong however. Now the "Remove" button and "I forgot my PIN" link are both missing and all I have left is the "Change" button. See screenshot below. Clicking on the "Change" button, entering my old PIN and twice a new PIN does not work, as it states that my old PIN is wrong. Now how can I remove/reset/change my PIN?

Below a screenshot showing the exact Windows version I am on.

• Edited by ariepedia Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:32 AM Changing a screenshot
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:29 AM

All replies

• as you are using a fingerprint for login, you can not remove the PIN.
    This is by design.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:07 PM
  • The PIN is a backup in-case the fingerprint fails, once enable fingerprint sign, PIN can’t be removed.

If you want to reset PIN, click change button, make sure you enter the correct old PIN.

If you couldn’t change PIN, try to delete the fingerprint you already registered, go to the device manager and uninstall ( with deletion ) the current diver under "Biometric devices" even if it's the same you already had, make sure you remember the password, in case, create a new admin account and write down the password.

Restart computer, re-configure your PIN.

Good luck

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same issue BUT <g class="gr_ gr_32 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="32" id="32">i</g> don't have fingerprint registered (or the fingerprint sensor)

But the Remove PIN is missing from mine too. Any help?

Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:49 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue on multiple machines in my domain as well. Only thing i have found so far is to delete a file but i can not tell users to do this any time we have a forgotten pin. (here is link to those instructions https://superuser.com/questions/1279400/unable-to-set-or-remove-a-login-pin-on-windows-10

Also if i i try the forgot pin from login window on any machine i either get "the machine is not on my organization" or that i changed password on a different machine. 

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:52 PM