When opening a File from File menu in most programs it defaults to the same location. How do I change this? RRS feed

• Question

• When opening a File from File menu in most programs it defaults to the same location. How do I change this? If I click Attach file in Outlook it goes to the default location. If I change the location and locate the file and then click attach again it reverts back to that default location. This is the same for Word, Excel, Paint, Adobe Pro.... If I click open I want the dialogue box to open the last place I was. How can I do this? Thanks
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you can achieve by this methods on MS office:

1 Open word or excel

2 File\Options\Save

3 Change the “Default file location”

4 Click “OK”

Thus when you open a file it will go to the location you have set.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 19, 2011 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It may depends what application (what kind of file) it is.

Generally there is some rule for documents, music, picture and video files... You can press WinKey+E > select Libraries > right click on the Documents > Properties > you can include some folder and choose Set save location , so the Save as dialog box for document files should show that selected folder. You can do similarly for pictures, music and videos.

Also please refer these articles:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26559/change-the-default-save-folder-for-windows-7-libraries-to-something-else-like-your-dropbox/.

http://www.pctips3000.com/how-to-change-the-default-save-location-in-windows-7/

http://www.question-defense.com/2010/03/04/change-windows-7-default-file-save-location

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Thanks, but that is a default Save location does that also mean Default Open location in Win 7?

In Windows XP when I went to File, Open it always went to the last folder I was in in that prgram. Is that possible with Win 7?

Thanks again.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, August 15, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can achieve by this methods on MS office:

1 Open word or excel

2 File\Options\Save

3 Change the “Default file location”

4 Click “OK”

Thus when you open a file it will go to the location you have set.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 19, 2011 7:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:01 AM