none
One RD Licensing Manager - multiserver

Question

• Hello,

I have several servers in my company and there is a need to connect remotely more users with multiple servers.
    I would like to get the effect that only one WS2012 R2 server is added 20 RDP CAL User and other servers use these RDP licenses.
    For example, as the first server logs in 4 users, on the second server 5 users, on the third server 4 users and on the fourth three users.
    I still have 4 licenses on the main server for the available licenses
    The remaining servers connect only to the server managing the licenses and check whether they can allow the user to connect or the number of licenses has been used.

I will be grateful for the help because I can not find out how it can be configured.
    Friday, July 6, 2018 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>I would like to get the effect that only one WS2012 R2 server is added 20 RDP CAL User and other servers use these RDP licenses.
    In general, you can configured only one RD Licensing server for your RDS Deployment. 

RD SH determines if an RDS CAL is needed. It then contacts RD Licensing server and requests an RDS CAL for your remote session.

>For example, as the first server logs in 4 users, on the second server 5 users, on the third server 4 users and on the fourth three users.
    You can create user group, then, create collection for each RD SH, and assign specific user group the permission on each collection. Then, the user group will only have the permission to access specific RD SH.

Creating a Remote Desktop Session Collection RDS 2012:
    https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/03/30/creating-a-remote-desktop-session-collection-rds-2012/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>I still have 4 licenses on the main server for the available licenses
    I am not sure what it means. In general, as RDS CALs, you only need to install and active them on your Licensing server. there is no need to install it on separate specific server system. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kamil KRK Monday, July 9, 2018 9:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kamil KRK Monday, July 9, 2018 9:52 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

>I would like to get the effect that only one WS2012 R2 server is added 20 RDP CAL User and other servers use these RDP licenses.
    In general, you can configured only one RD Licensing server for your RDS Deployment. 

RD SH determines if an RDS CAL is needed. It then contacts RD Licensing server and requests an RDS CAL for your remote session.

---On the license server what roles and functions must be installed and which ones on the server will use the licenses and which functions must be configured (RD Gataway, RD Licenses RD Connection Broker, RD Session Host)? And the same applies to servers that will benefit from them.

>For example, as the first server logs in 4 users, on the second server 5 users, on the third server 4 users and on the fourth three users.
    You can create user group, then, create collection for each RD SH, and assign specific user group the permission on each collection. Then, the user group will only have the permission to access specific RD SH.

---What is RD SH?
    ---For what purpose do I have to create a collection?

Creating a Remote Desktop Session Collection RDS 2012:

https://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/03/30/creating-a-remote-desktop-session-collection-rds-2012/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

---I do not want to configure any connection to the Web. He wants users to be able to log in to the server's desktop.

>I still have 4 licenses on the main server for the available licenses
    I am not sure what it means. In general, as RDS CALs, you only need to install and active them on your Licensing server. there is no need to install it on separate specific server system. 

---I meant that if the main server will be used for connection of DRP 16 licenses out of 20, the main server will still have 4 free licenses.

• Edited by Kamil KRK Monday, July 9, 2018 10:04 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 10:03 AM
  • "I meant that if the main server will be used for connection of DRP 16 licenses out of 20, the main server will still have 4 free licenses."

Yes, if your licensing server is configured with 20 licenses, and only 16 RDS users have licenses assigned, there will still be four available licenses.  This happens regardless of where the 16 users are logged in.  The users can log into any available RDS server to which they are authorized.  In fact, a single user could potentially log into multiple RDS servers if they are authorized, and that user consumes a single RDS client access license.

tim

Monday, July 9, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, you need remote connection to multi server system. This is session based desktop connection. And need to deploy RDS(Remote Desktop Services). There are below server roles about RDS:
    1. RD CB(Connection Broker) – sends connection requests to session, store data about each session and responsible for re-connect existing session.
    2. RD SH(Session Host) – holds resources, such as remote desktop, RemoteApp.
    3. RD Gateway – if you want to publish your internal resources(desktop) to Internet, you can use this server role to security the connection.
    4. RD Web Access – allow user to access remote desktop/RemoteApp via browser.
    5. RD Licensing – install RDS CALs.

You can open Server Manager – Add Roles and Features – Remote Desktop Services to find all available server roles:

1> We need to install RD Licensing server role to configure a licensing server. also, we need to configured more RDS server role to deploy RDS:
    a. On Windows Server which allows user to remote connect to, install RD SH server role.
    b. You can install RD Licensing and RD CB server roles on any of available server. there is no specific limitation/requirement. Or, if possible, it is recommended to install these 2 server roles on another server which is not RD SH, just consider of fault-tolerance/efficiency.

2> RD SH is the server which holds remote resources, for example, multi user need to establish remote desktop connection to Server A. Then, you should install RD SH server role on Server A.

Collection holds the apps and desktops you want to make available to users. It connects one or more RD SH and you can configure user permission for each collection/included RD SH.

3> If you do not need web connection, then, RD Web Access is not needed. And if it only used for internal remote connection, or, VPN, then, RD Gateway is not needed.

4> RDS CALs is managed by RD Licensing server, and there are 2 types of them, Per User and Per Device CALs. In other words, it is assigned to remote user/device. And Licensing server will help you to calculate and trace CALs usage.

Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Architecture Explained:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yungchou/2010/01/04/remote-desktop-services-rds-architecture-explained/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:51 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your previous Eve message because in the end I started to understand how it should work.
    Unfortunately, this method will not work in what you need to do in your company.
    The point is that on each of the servers I have installed other software and needs each user to be able to simultaneously connect to more than one server.
    However, the SH and Collections configuration consists in creating server farms including High availability (has one DNS entry to different IP addresses and unilaterally separates connections) so that you can connect to servers but you can not connect simultaneously to more than one server which is SH because when you try to connect to the other server, when you are connected to one of the servers, you get the message that the connection has been redirected to the first one and the next connection can not be opened.
    I supported this movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnscjO1QAmU

Example:
    Server1.net.local has an offica installed
    Server2.net.local has SQL SMS installed
    The server3.net.local has Chrome installed
    The server4.net.local is DC and wants to have an RDP license management server installed on it and on servers 1,2,3 to use the RDP license which is installed on the server 4.

I want the user to be able to connect to all three servers simultaneously via their DNS name.
    Can you help me with this?
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:27 AM
  • The best place to reach RDS experts is in an RDS-focused forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS

May need some clarification in your explanation, too.  Do you mean simultaneously or concurrently?  There is no way to guarantee three simultaneous connections, but three concurrent connections should be no issue.  The RDS experts in the RDS forum should be able to assist.

tim

Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:50 PM